Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Locking Code to a Specific Machine

VBAX Regular

That method would work too, but that seems to be more code intensive?

I like the approach with 2 files:
    File 1 - Two functions. (a) create HD serial number to be sent and (b) store the encrypted key in registry or file.
    File 2 - Main workbook that checks if the encrypted key matches the serial HD.

That way you split up the coding, which may be easier to work with (and less chance of breaking).

- As far as VBA protection, I use a method that is pretty secure. It takes the existing project and creates a new file that does not allow access to the VBA. In fact, I cannot even get into it after it is "compiled". It is far more secure than just a VBA password, which can be easily defeated.

- As far as cost benefit goes, I need a method to protect my work. Otherwise, I won't continue the project with VBA. I would be forced to go with another language to take it to the next level. Getting this code to work seems to be the last trick to making Excel VBA a viable solution for me.

VBAX Sage
    I was thinking along the 'trialware' business model with only one file to worry about.

I don't think the difference is coding would be significant (easy for me to say)

"creates a new file that does not allow access to the VBA"

Interesting -- How dod you do that?

Paul

VBAX Regular
    I don't want to interfere in this thread but could you send an example of your way of secure your excel files.

Would be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by aerodoc
    Paul,

That method would work too, but that seems to be more code intensive?

I like the approach with 2 files:
    File 1 - Two functions. (a) create HD serial number to be sent and (b) store the encrypted key in registry or file.
    File 2 - Main workbook that checks if the encrypted key matches the serial HD.

That way you split up the coding, which may be easier to work with (and less chance of breaking).

- As far as VBA protection, I use a method that is pretty secure. It takes the existing project and creates a new file that does not allow access to the VBA. In fact, I cannot even get into it after it is "compiled". It is far more secure than just a VBA password, which can be easily defeated.

- As far as cost benefit goes, I need a method to protect my work. Otherwise, I won't continue the project with VBA. I would be forced to go with another language to take it to the next level. Getting this code to work seems to be the last trick to making Excel VBA a viable solution for me.

VBAX Regular
    How about we save the worksheet VBA protect for another thread. I will start/discuss that after we this first part worked out. Both are necessary to make it all work.

-------------------------------

Paul,

I think the single file is OK too. But I fear it may be confusing to the user? The two file approach provides a clear indication that step 1 must be done before file 2 works.

With the single file approach, it is more compact, but requires that "get into" the file multiple times. The user may be confused about why this needs to be done. Just my thought anyway. Personally, I like the "clearly distinct" 2 file method.