Consulting

Thread: Not really a macro question but...

Not really a macro question but...

I have a document that I am editing. I highlighted and deleted a section of text which was all caps. When I tried to retype in that area using lower and upper case Word caps everything. I am guessing it is a formatting problem. How can I get this to not happen?
    Peace of mind is found in some of the strangest places.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    I have a document that I am editing. I highlighted and deleted a section of text which was all caps. When I tried to retype in that area using lower and upper case Word caps everything. I am guessing it is a formatting problem. How can I get this to not happen?
    Every character in Word is based on a style so if you modify the style by hand and give it bold face or something you change the style applied to that character/word/sentence/para/etc......(The part you select or update the whole style if its on)

If you look to the lower left of you toolbar you see the "Style" dropdown.
    From there you can choose different styles and you can make your own styles.

Strict formatting is when the document is only made of styles without manual formatting. (Best Practice but hard for most people)

If you use manual formatting the styles would look something like:
    Normal+Bold+Italic in the styles box. (you can turn the extra text of btw but its still there)

This will help you on your way understanding this subject but its not easy to change habbits if you're used to manual formatting:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/prev...s/column14.asp

Enjoy!
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

VBAX Wizard
    Joost is absolutely (of course) correct. And he takes the wind out of my favourite rant. Styles ARE the way to use Word.

The point that Joost did not make as clear as he could have is that:

If text has a specific style set for it, and in particular a paragraph, then ANY text typed into that paragraph will have the characteristics of that style.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Joost is absolutely (of course) correct. And he takes the wind out of my favourite rant. Styles ARE the way to use Word.
    Now see how much we have in common.

Quote Originally Posted by fumei
    The point that Joost did not make as clear as he could have is that:
    Agreed; It's hard for me to explain this in a few words in a good manner cause there's a lot to tell.

btw: that's why I added that excellent tutorial of Suzanne.

Quote Originally Posted by fumei
    If text has a specific style set for it, and in particular a paragraph, then ANY text typed into that paragraph will have the characteristics of that style.
    Yes that's much more clear then I could tell that in one para.
    But caveat on the way. You're not complety right cause I could be using a character style and then any text formatted with that particular character style would have the characteristics of that style. (And that doesn't have to be the whole para it could be one character)

Like I'm telling you something new here. (Perhaps for Austen it helps)
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)