Hi guys, happy New Year!

I need to program a macro for users to send an email with the opened Word file in attachment.
Basically, I need the following features:
- I can’t use Outlook exclusively, as users are on different Windows platforms (XP/Windows 7), on different Office versions (from 2000 to 2010) and are not all using Outlook;
- I need to hard code the recipient email address and the email object;
- I need to be able to add a customized body;
- I need to send the Word file in attachment, and NOT in the body;
- Since users are sending this email from their office or home computer, the smtp server may be their personal supplier.

I made lots of research and tests on existing methods to send emails from vba Word to find the best method in my case. I may have forgotten some pros/cons for each of them:

1) Routing slip method:
Pros:
- The code will work with all email programs;
- The document can be sent even if it hasn't been saved.
Cons:
- This function was disabled after Word 2003, so Office 2007/2010 can’t use it.

2) Automating Outlook:
Pros:
- All or most features of Outlook can be programmed.

Cons:
- You need to be absolutely sure that the system that's running your code has Outlook installed;
- If you want to send the document as an attachment the document needs to have been saved at least once before you can send it. This is because you need a path and filename for the file in the code;
- If Outlook is not already open when your code runs, this method will also be slower.

3) Febooti Command line email:
Pros:
- Send unlimited number of attachments;
- Use return codes to check success or failure;
- Works on all Windows platforms.

Cons:
- You need to setup the smtp server of the client.

4) Using CDO object :
Pros:
- It doesn't matter what email program you are using;
- Works with all Office versions (97…2007);
- You can send any file you like (Word, PDF, PowerPoint, TXT files…);
- No Security warnings.

Cons:
- You need to setup the smtp server of the client;
- If you want to send the document as an attachment the document needs to have been saved;
- Can’t send in attachment the file while it is opened.

5) MailEnvelope method:
Pros:
- Can setup most features (object, body, to field);
- Can add an attachment as well;
- Email appears in your email program.

Cons:
- If you want to send the document as an attachment the document needs to have been saved;
- File is sent within the body of the email.

6) MailMerge method:
I haven’t investigated this one yet.

Now, I could possibly use one of those methods with a bit of help!

I CANNOT use any method that depends on one specific email program (like Outlook) or Windows version (like Routing slip). MailEnvelope gave me excellent results, though I wish I could send the document in attachment only, not within the body! As for CDO, I would be glad to use it if I didn’t have to program the smtp server within the code (as it is different for each user), unless there is a way to get the client’s smtp server easily (through some code).

Any suggestion?