Consulting

Thread: Solved: msgbox display

Solved: msgbox display

I'm trying to create a message box that will look at the date in cell A1 and display the appropriate message. Can someone assist, Thank you in advance.

Fiscal Year 2011 starts 10-31-2011 and ends 09-30-2012.

If cell A1 has any dates between the two dates above, I would like the msgbox to display...

"Only 2011 database can be downloaded."

VBAX Regular
    Smile check this

Is this you are looking for

[VBA]Sub test()
    Dim tempdate As Date
    tempdate = Range("A1")
    If tempdate >= "10 / 31 / 2011" And tempdate <= "9 / 30 / 2012" Then
    MsgBox "Only 2011 database can be downloaded"
    End If
    End Sub[/VBA]
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 01-14-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Added tags to code

Not quite...here's what I managed to put together. The first part of the code works, I just need the msgbox box is Bold to be displayed.

In the listbox (See attachment), 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 is displayed. Each fiscal year starts from 10/1 of the selected year and ends 09/30 of the following year. ( i.e. if 2010 is selected, the fiscal year starts 10/01/2010 and ends 09/30/2011).

If 2012 is selected in the listbox and 11/01/2009 is in cell B11, I would like the msgbox to display the following message…"Only 2010 database can be downloaded."

If the code below determines the current date in cell B11 falls in between the year selected in the list box (In this case, 2010), then a msgbox would display “Downloaded”. If any other date that falls outside the selected Fiscal year of the selected 2010 (i.e. 2009, 2011, 2012), then it should display a message box that says "Only 2010 database can be downloaded."

Legend:
    Cur_Row, 2 = current row, column B
    lstFYFiles.Column(1, lstFYFiles.ListIndex) = listbox column 2

[vba]If CDate(Cells(Cur_Row, 2)) > lstFYFiles.Column(1, lstFYFiles.ListIndex) And _
    CDate(Cells(Cur_Row, 2)) < CDate("09/30/" & Format(lstFYFiles.Column(1, lstFYFiles.ListIndex), "yyyy") + 1) Then
    Msgbox “ Downloaded”
    Else
    Msgbox "Only 2010 database can be downloaded."
    end if[/vba]
    Attached Images Attached Images

See if this approach works for your (untested):
    [vba]Select Case Month(Cells(Cur_Row, 2).Value)
    Case Is <= 9
    If Year(Cells(Cur_Row, 2).Value) <> lstFYFiles.Column(0, lstFYFiles.ListIndex) Then
    MsgBox "Only " & Year(Cells(Cur_Row, 2).Value) & " database can be downloaded."
    Else
    MsgBox "Downloaded"
    End If
    Case Else
    If (Year(Cells(Cur_Row, 2).Value) + 1) <> lstFYFiles.Column(0, lstFYFiles.ListIndex) Then
    MsgBox "Only " & (Year(Cells(Cur_Row, 2).Value) + 1) & " database can be downloaded."
    Else
    MsgBox "Downloaded"
    End If
    End Select[/vba]
    Regards,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Shrivallabha
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Using Excel 2016 in Home / 2010 in Office

Thanks you shrivallabha. After a little tweeking, I managed to accomplish what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity, what does this do...

[VBA]Case <=9[/VBA]

Thanks you shrivallabha. After a little tweeking, I managed to accomplish what I was looking for. Just out of curiosity, what does this do...

[vba]Case <=9[/vba]
    As you have set your layout:
    1. The fiscal year (yyyy) starts from 10/1/yyyy - 1 and ends on 9/30/yyyy
    e.g. 2010 begins from 10/1/2009 and ends on 9/30/2010.

2. So for first 9 months it will be the same year and 10-12 it will be previous year.

So we have implemented case check here:
    [VBA]Select Case Month(Cells(Cur_Row, 2).Value)[/VBA]

Alternatively If Else would also work like:
    [VBA]If Month(Cells(Cur_Row,2).Value) < 10 then
    'The other if else here
    Else
    'The other if else here
    End if[/VBA]
    Regards,
    Shrivallabha
    Using Excel 2016 in Home / 2010 in Office