Consulting

Thread: How to make an Excel Macro globally available?

VBAX Regular
    How to make an Excel Macro globally available?

Hi Guys!

I wrote a "generic" macro that connects to a database and uploads an Excel document's content into a SQL Server 2008 database. I need this macro to be globally available, so that I do not have to put the macro code into every single one of these excel workbooks. I also need to do this on our company's netweork so that other users have the same access to this macro.

I tried connecting this macro to a button, wehich I placed onto the Quick Access Toolbar and it seemed to work for a bit. Now, however, it tells me that this macro is not available to my Excel application.

My question is: Can I place the macro code somewhere in a DLL or other globally available place where any Excel application can access it?

PS: I also tried saving it as an Excel Add-In and then importing it into several users' Excel Applications, but this do not seem to work...

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!!
    Deyken
    DeezineTek
    South Africa

Creating an addin will work. I'm not sure what you mean by "importing it into several users' Excel Applications"?
    Be as you wish to seem

Of course you can use a DLL and put it into their c:\Windows\System32. It might need to be registered though. You could use .net and make an EXE and put it in a central location. You could use a regular XLSM and they can use Application.Run() to run it.

The Add-in method will probably work though.