Consulting

Thread: Sleeper: Validate a Date!??

Sleeper: Validate a Date!??

Hey VBA-crackers,

I need some help!

I need to check if a certain cell (or range) has valid date value, how do i do it?
    To elaborate further, i make my column, say column B, as format = date. The user is free to input anything in this column -- he may even copy some data from other column onto it, thus, erasing the date format. Now, i click validate button to check if this column B values are valid date values.

Tried with IsDate function, but wrong results.

Anyone please help me out with this .....

Thanks a ton!

Regards.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Tried with IsDate function, but wrong results.
    What wrong results do you mean?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    The IsDate function will return a boolean result, either True or False. When are you wanting to do this? At user input? You can protect a sheet so a user cannot change a value or formula. Dates are somewhat quirky in Excel though. This is because they are recognized as (serial) numbers. So it makes for somewhat of a challenge when differentiating between dates and a number.

If attempting this with standard worksheet functions, it's impossible. But if you want to use a UDF (User-Defined Function) this will work for you: http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=323

Administrator
    Chat VP

How about using the inbuilt data validation tool? (Data -> Validation) If you select 'Date' you get many options and also a start and end date.

HTH,
    John
    You know you're really in trouble when the light at the end of the tunnel turns out to be the headlight of a train hurtling towards you

The major part of getting the right answer lies in asking the right question...

Made your code more readable, use VBA tags (this automatically inserts [vba] at the start of your code, and [/vba ] at the end of your code) | Help those helping you by marking your thread solved when it is.