Consulting

Thread: Plz help a newbie understand SQL

VBAX Regular
    Plz help a newbie understand SQL

I´m fairly new to VBA and definitly brand new to SQL. I´ve tried to get some answers on a Swedish forum but no luck there. I´m in urgent need of your assistance.

I have a form where I let the user put in a personel number. This triggers a Excel template to open where the following code gets the table from our database:

[VBA]With ActiveSheet.ListObjects.Add(SourceType:=0, Source:=Array( _
    "OLEDB;Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=*************;PWD=************;Data Source=**********;Use Procedure for Prepare=1;Auto" _
    , _
    " Translate=True;Packet Size=4096;Use Encryption for Data=False;Tag with column collation when possible=F" _
    , "alse;Initial Catalog=***********"), Destination:=Range("$A$1")).QueryTable
    .CommandType = xlCmdTable
    .CommandText = Array("""*************"".""dbo"".""**********$Employee""")
    .RowNumbers = False
    .FillAdjacentFormulas = False
    .PreserveFormatting = True
    .RefreshOnFileOpen = False
    .BackgroundQuery = True
    .RefreshStyle = xlInsertDeleteCells
    .SavePassword = False
    .SaveData = True
    .AdjustColumnWidth = True
    .RefreshPeriod = 0
    .PreserveColumnInfo = True
    .Refresh BackgroundQuery:=False
    End With[/VBA]

Then I do some filtering in that table.

Now I need to learn how to call the database och get what I need without the downloading of the entire table. I can probably learn the SQL language somewhere else, but I need to understand how to access the database.

Could some kind soul plz explain with simple word to a newbie how this works? This would make my day.

The ID I use is a read only ID. I don´t want to nor should I be able to write to the database.

Regards/Cederbusch

VBAX Regular
    Ok, I have now actually solved this. Quite easy when I got the hang of it. But that is in Excel. I would very much like to understand how I present the SQL result in a textbox in Word. Anybody?