Consulting

Thread: Is it possible to automate data entries from a website into a ms access form?

VBAX Mentor
    Is it possible to automate data entries from a website into a ms access form?

Hi experts, I would like users to enter data on a from on a website, and the data entered would automatically populate fields on a form with identical field names in Access. Is this possible to do, if so how can this be done? Would you have any sample code or websites that have sample API code to do this?

Thanks for your contributions

VBAX Regular
    If the database was on the same server as the webpages then this would be possible but then you would need some kind of remote login to be able to use the database.

I've heard the new version of Access (possibley released later this year) is going to solve this problem. But we will have to wait and see...
    Regards
    JD
    ------------------------------------
    Software-Matters
    Dorset

If the database was on the same server as the webpages then this would be possible
    Maybe I missed something, but isn't that what IIS abd ASP have been offering for years?

VBAX Regular
    Maybe I missed something, but isn't that what IIS abd ASP have been offering for years?
    Not sure I understand your point/question.

Yes IIS and asp work together and will be used on the webserver but if you want to pass the data from the webform to the database then the database will need to reside on the same server that's all I'm saying.
    Regards
    JD
    ------------------------------------
    Software-Matters
    Dorset

Not sure I understand your point/question.

Yes IIS and asp work together and will be used on the webserver but if you want to pass the data from the webform to the database then the database will need to reside on the same server that's all I'm saying.
    Right, and I thought the OP indicated they would reside the same.

Here is another option. I use a remote web site that have a SQL server (mySQL, Microsoft SQL Server, Oracle, etc.) as the back end. The remote webs site can use ASP/, ASP.net, PHP or your favorite scripting language to store data in the SQL Server.

The remote SQL server is set up for remote connections. From the Access application on the users desktop they can import the data from the remote SQL server into their Access application.

The key is being able to make an ODBC connection to the remote SQL server. This allows you to directly extra the data.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11