Consulting

Thread: Solved: Combine Formula

Solved: Combine Formula

I was having troubloe combining formula to read 2 separate criteria.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    T-ogether
    E-veryone
    A-chieves
    M-ore

One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar

=--(OR(AND(J$7>=$D8,($D8+$E8*(1/24))>J$7),AND(J$7>=$G8,($G8+$H8*(1/24))>W$7)))

but ...

Why are you using a formula to determine whether the condition is true and transforming that to 1 or 0, then using CF on a value of 1, why not just use

=OR(AND(J$7>=$D8,($D8+$E8*(1/24))>J$7),AND(J$7>=$G8,($G8+$H8*(1/24))>W$7))

as your CF formula?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Actually I have spent a lots of time twisting the formula and I have ended up to that until I finally decided to call for a help ... Your suggestion works perfectly by modifying a little bit as you gave the idea.

=OR(AND(I$7>=$D8,($D8+$E8*(1/24))>I$7),AND(I$7>=$G8,($G8+$H8*(1/24))>I$7))

But still seems to have a problem as attached. Defined work hours was 4 but showing on the shaded as 5 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by xld
    Use

=--(OR(AND(J$7>=$D8,($D8+$E8*(1/24))>J$7),AND(J$7>=$G8,($G8+$H8*(1/24))>W$7)))

but ...

Why are you using a formula to determine whether the condition is true and transforming that to 1 or 0, then using CF on a value of 1, why not just use

=OR(AND(J$7>=$D8,($D8+$E8*(1/24))>J$7),AND(J$7>=$G8,($G8+$H8*(1/24))>W$7))

as your CF formula?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    T-ogether
    E-veryone
    A-chieves
    M-ore

One who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; one who does not ask a question remains a fool forever.

I think your problem is in the floating point processor, dividing the number of hours by 24 is just not accurate in all cases (not to mention that odd practice of multiply by 1 and divide by 24, *1/24, this is wasteful, /24 is the same). Anyway, rather than divide the hours by 24, changed it to multiply the times by 24 which means that it is all integer arithmetic.

=OR(AND(I$7>=$D8,($D8*24+$E8)>I$7*24),AND(I$7>=$G8,($G8*24+$H8)>I$7*24))

You seem to have missed my point of CF formula. I meant put the formula in the CF directly, not in the cell at all.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Yeah I missed it... Thanks once again xld ... Its amazing. I never did that. I never have thought that I can put the formula in the CF not in the cell where it will be like a magic to the user

Quote Originally Posted by xld

You seem to have missed my point of CF formula. I meant put the formula in the CF directly, not in the cell at all.
    T-ogether
    E-veryone
    A-chieves
    M-ore

That's great, your problem is solved and your own skills-base has moved up a notch. Double whammy

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

VBAX Newbie
    Hey! I wonder why on my PC nothing works. So after reading this post and the conversations I did all the settings again but nothing works.

Hi Patrick, instead of putting the formula below directly in the cell
    =OR(AND(I$7>=$D8,($D8*24+$E8)>I$7*24),AND(I$7>=$G8,($G8*24+$H8)>I$7*24))

put instead in CF - Conditional Formatting

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickM
    Hey! I wonder why on my PC nothing works. So after reading this post and the conversations I did all the settings again but nothing works.
    T-ogether
    E-veryone
    A-chieves
    M-ore