Consulting

Thread: Solved: Saving a Word 2010 template with macros to Word 2003 template - geting DLL error

Solved: Saving a Word 2010 template with macros to Word 2003 template - geting DLL error

Greetings all!

I have a Word 2010 template (with a lot of macros) that run during publication to Word from a database. Macros run, as well. from the AutoOpen routine.

I need to test a new version of my db client software on an XP system that has Word 2003. I saved the template to a .dot file format and when I try to open the published Word file, I get "Compile error: Error in loading DLL" message.

I'm confused and at my wits end. Could there by code in my Word 2010 macros that could make this happen on my WinXP system?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jan

VBAX Wizard
    "Could there by code in my Word 2010 macros that could make this happen on my WinXP system?"

Yes. They (2010 vs 2003) have a number of things that are incompatible. Any object, method or property that is not in 2003 (and they will point to a 2010 specific DLL) will fail.

It is uncommon to work macro code back to a previous version, it is usually the other way around. The only solution is to copy the code to a 2003 file and then step through the code. Any unknown element will error out. These will have to be removed.

It could be not just actual properties or methods - it could also be version specific parameters. For example, objects that are in BOTH 2010 and 2003 may have additional XML parameters in 2010. Often these are in the code by default.

p.s. Just want to add that the other system being WinXP is not relevant. It is the Word versions that are relevant.
    Last edited by fumei; 04-12-2012 at 05:24 PM.

Thanks, fumei, for the info..I suspected as much. I actually exported all the modules and forms from my 2010 template and imported them into a 2003 template. So far, so good.

The reason I needed to do that was because we've decided to have some of our writers begin using the db and they aren't updated to 2010, yet. Since they need to use the same template functionality, they needed a 2003 version of the template...sigh. Until they get upgraded, I have a solution...yeah!

Thanks! Jan