Consulting

Thread: Problem with UDF

Problem with UDF

I have a bunch of UDFs in my spreadsheet. When I'm debuging my code they recalculate a bunch of times. Is there a way to prevent my editor from stepping through that part of the code?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    tA couple of things I do; if the calculations aren't important to the debugging of the current vba development and the functions end up being called a lot, I change the name of those funcions by adding a 'x' or two.
    You could try setting calculation to manual.
    If it is vital the udf code is executed then when you find yourself stepped into such a function, Ctrl+Shift+F8 gets you back to your debugging code.
    You can also step through you code in jumps by putting the cursor on where you want the code next to stop and pressing Ctrl+F8 (or putting a break point there, or even a Stop instruction in he code)
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    When debugging, rather than Step Into (F8), Step Over (Shift-F8).

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Thank you for the assistance. The ctrl+f8 and ctrl+shft+f8 is something that I did not know about. I currently just write a stop instruction like you suggest. So I take it that there is no way to ignore stepping through certain pieces of code that you write, like an excel function? Like a tag that tells the editor to just ignore stepping through a certain piece of code?

Password protecting a module would have been my guess, but i don't know how to protect just one module.

Shift-F8 steps over it as I said, It still gets executed, you just don't step through it.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Mac Moderator VBAX Guru mikerickson's Avatar
    When debugging, I find the RunToCursor option useful for running subroutines without stepping through each line.

Debug.Assert is also very useful, I use it all the time, because it is conditional.

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Hey, I found an interesting way to solve this problem.

[VBA]
    Application.enableevents = false

application.enableevents = true
    [/VBA]