Consulting

Thread: Convert? - EndNote to Word's endnotes

Convert? - EndNote to Word's endnotes

I have an 85 page Word document that has Word endnotes in it and I have a 70 page Word document that has endnotes and cross references that were created in (the program) EndNote.

The two files are to be combined into a single file with Word's endotes ONLY.

If I copy the text from the EndNote document and paste it into the Word document, the endnotes are not going to be correct as there will be the Word endnotes and the EndNotes from the program.

Is there a way to convert endnotes generated from the EndNote program to Word's endnotes?

I am not sure how to approach this using VBA and am looking for ideas.

All but the last sentence above is cross posted to: http://www.msofficeforums.com/word/1...-endnotes.html

Rich

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    EndNote can export to a text file (see http://kbportal.thomson.com/display/...=1&docid=84190) and you could then use a macro to turn the text file entries into the required XML format for Word. As examples, Word XML entries might look like what's in the attached file. As you'll see, the amount of XML can vary, according to the kinds of data you're importing.

IIRC, EndNote also supports free text that can be added as a comment, but Word's citations/bibliography tools don't.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by macropod; 05-17-2012 at 04:19 PM.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

I do not have EndNote on this computer. The EndNote created endnotes are all at the bottom of the document that I am to add to the main, MS Word endnoted' document.

I have cut all the references out of the EndNote document and pasted them as text only into a new file. So now I have my references in a separate file.

In the EndNote file, I unlinked all the references using, ...
    [vba]activedocument.Fields.Unlink
    [/vba]
    ..., so now I have a document with superscriped numbers where the fields used to be.

Now I have to figure out how to start from the top of the document and work towards the bottom replacing the first instance of a superscripted number with a MS Word endnote that corresponds to the number in the reference page. That in itself shouldn't be too difficult BUT as I go along the superscripted numbers will be changing AND and any additional instances of the original superscripted number have to be replaced with a cross reference to the original number. SO... things can turn to a real mess in a hurry.

Currently working thru a print out of this document, making a list of the reference numbers so I have a way to check myself.

VBAX Regular
    On a 100 acre hobby farm in beautiful west Quebec.
    I recommend that you work from the back of the document to avoid having the numbering mess you up.

If you have a set of endnotes in a new file, and superscripted numbers for them within your document, use the "Search: Up" option of Find to look for superscript from the end of the file. When you find a superscript that relates to one of your non-Word endnotes, delete it, then immediately insert a new endnote and paste the content. Word will insert a new endnote link and manage the sequencing. Then use the "find up" button on the vertical scroll bar to find the next instance to repeat.

I've done this fairly frequently for preparing manuscripts, and question whether it is practical to use VBA. A manual solution is quite quick, and allows you to deal with issues that would be hard to anticipate for a general VBA solution.
    Eric

Experience is not what happens to a man; it is what a man does with what happens to him. ? Aldous Huxley

I coded a solution for this and will post it as soon as I have time. Wasn't pretty but it did work. Got a few fires to put out right now.