Consulting

Thread: How do I declare a module wide date that is in the form of say (3rd wednesday of the

VBAX Newbie
    How do I declare a module wide date that is in the form of say (3rd wednesday of the

How do I declare a module wide date that is in the form of say (3rd wednesday of the month every Mar, June, Sep, Dec). This should be going forward to any number of years.
    I want help with some code or ideas as to how I can write code which tells Excel that when I wrtie a date say Mar 23 or July 6 to check that, that date that is in the form of say (3rd wednesday of the month every Mar, June, Sep, Dec).
    Like I want this code to list a column of sales, but if the sales fall after the 3rd wednesday of Mar, June, Sep or Dec I want Excel to do something else. For eg: if today is the second wednesday of mar then excel doesnt do anything but if it is the 3rd thursday then i want it to check for that date and see that it has passed the 3rd wed of march and hence now it should act in a certain way or produce a certain result.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    This Kb Entry has an example of how to find the date for a certain occurance of a certain day.

Public Function FloatingHoliday(xYear As Integer, xMonth As Integer, xDay As Integer,  _ 
        xNumber As Integer) 
    FloatingHoliday = DateSerial(xYear, xMonth, (8 - Weekday(DateSerial(xYear, xMonth, 1),  _ 
        (xDay + 1) Mod 8)) + ((xNumber - 1) * 7)) 
    End Function

So to get the date of the third wednesday of a certain month you would do this.

MyDate = floatingholiday(2005,7,4,3)
    2005 = Year
    7 = Month
    4 = Wednesday (Sunday = 1, Monday = 2)
    3 = Occurance

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Here is a riutine that can check whether a date is a valid instance, say the 1st Monday, 2nd Thursday, etc, and if the month is a quarter month

Function DateInstance(pzDate, pzDow As Long, pzInstance As Long, _
                          Optional pzQuarter As Boolean = False) As Boolean
    Dim dteCheck As Date
    Dim fValid As Boolean
    fValid = DateSerial(Year(pzDate), Month(pzDate), 1 + 7 * pzInstance) - _
                    Weekday(DateSerial(Year(pzDate), Month(pzDate), 8 - pzDow)) = _
                 pzDate
    If fValid Then
            If pzQuarter Then
                fValid = Month(pzDate) Mod 3 = 0
            End If
        End If
    DateInstance = fValid
    End Function
    You would use it like

?DateInstance(DateSerial(2005,07,20),4,3)
    will check if 20-Jul is the 3rd Wed (day number 4) of the month

?DateInstance(DateSerial(2005,06,20),4,2,True)
    will check if 20-Jun is the 4th Tue (day number 2) of the month, and the month is a quarter month

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber