Consulting

Thread: Debugging VBA?

VBAX Regular
    Debugging VBA?

Trying to debug VBA code. PowerPoint 2003 under Windows XP.

When I run the code in the *code* window, I can set breakpoints. step through the code and have the VBA interpreter alert me to any VBA code errors. Everything works as I expect.

But when I start the code from the *slide* window, breakpoints are ignored, and no errors are reported.

How can I persuade PowerPoint to stop when a breakpoint is reached, and tell me when there are errors, when running the code from the slide window?

--
    Ian

VBAX Regular

I do not understand your reply at all. Could you please re-phrase it.

Thank you.

--
    Ian

VBAX Master
    I think you'll find it's not an attempt to be useful just spamming to get their link posted.

Break points do normally work in slide show mode - are you sure your code is compatable with slide show view? (If you used the recorder it's unlikely that it will be)
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Regular

Reminder. I am using PPT 2003, if that makes any difference.

I just created a brand new PPT show, containing a single action button. The Action Setting is linked to mybutton_click:

Sub mybutton_click()

Dim n As Integer
    n = 0
    n = n + 1

MsgBox "Button clicked"

End Sub
    If I put a breakpoint at n=n+1 and run in the code page, it stops at the breakpoint as expected. But if I run as a slideshow and click on the button, the program does not stop at the breakpoint, but goes on to display the message.

--
    Ian

VBAX Master

I ran your code in 2003 and it stopped at my breakpoint on n=n+1. I have seen other people complaining that breakpoints were ignored in show mode but it doesn't happen here. Not sure what to suggest.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Regular

Could it be that I am missing an add-in? I had to install the Auto-Events add-in to make my program start properly on opening the slideshow. Maybe I need to do something similar to make breakpoints work in slideshow mode.

(I am used to them working in Excel and Word when running code from the app window, and I certainly miss them in PowerPoint!).

--
    Ian