Consulting

Thread: Web Query from Logon and password protected web page

VBAX Newbie
    Web Query from Logon and password protected web page

Hi... dealing with new problem here.... since yesterday this website ww. futebol365 .pt managed to put a login and password registration to the site (like forums, like this one here ) I've already registered and the username is: worick_prods The password is: worick
    Before this change to the website i was able to get tables from football results everytime. Now a security window come up with logon and password. I put these credentials in everyone and nothing happens. Result: cannot import data anymore.... can anyone tell me how i teach excel to put automaticly the logon and password data so the web query refreshes itself and get the data i want? Here is a file that containd a simple web query to that webpage so you can see what i'm talking about.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I think this is not something caused by the website, but rather by some obscure setting in Excel or Windows. If I open your file in Excel 2003, it just works, if I open it in Excel 2010, I get the password prompt. It may also be related to a security update of Excel, I don't really know.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Karel Pieterse
    I think this is not something caused by the website, but rather by some obscure setting in Excel or Windows. If I open your file in Excel 2003, it just works, if I open it in Excel 2010, I get the password prompt. It may also be related to a security update of Excel, I don't really know.
    Yes... thats right! I've installed office 2007 and 2003 and works great. The problem is office 2010 and not the website. Anyone knows witch option on excel 2010 is causing this so i can shut it down?

Excel 2010 has changed the way it sends out http requests (using the OPTIONS method so I gather).
    Check if this page helps:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/the_micro...rom-excel.aspx
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

VBAX Newbie
    Thankyou for your help. I looked the website and did the Regedit solution:

( 2. There is a setting which allows you to bypass the no-cache check for SSL cites on the client. To do this, do the following:

a. Go to START and in the RUN line type REGEDIT.

b. In the registry navigate to

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

c. Right click Internet Settings and left click New > DWORD Value (32-bit) and name the new value “BypassSSLNoCacheCheck” without the quotes. Double click
    this value and give it a value of 1.

That's it. You may need to restart Excel, but you don't need to restart the machine. You should now be able to perform the web query without a problem. )

But even after that and even after reebooting the computer it still asks logon and password prompt

I'm sorry, that was all I could find about this!
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Hi Jan Karel and other experts,

I have a similar challenge -- I want to download data from a wevbsite that requires logging in with a username and password.

When I log in and then click on "Refresh All" for my Web Query it tries to open the pass word protected website; which, of course, it cannot do.

Is there a way to edit the Web Query so it does not try to open the entire website; but rather just goes to that page of the website where the data is.

Or if it is not possible to edit Web Query; is there another approach that would work in this situation?

(I'm using Excel 2010.)

I'll appreciate very much your suggestions!

/ Gary E.

Perhaps you have to pull in the data by automating internet explorer. Google should get you somewhere.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Jan Karel and all,

I did some Google searches on "automating internet explorer vba" and took a look at several coding studies.

However, I have to admit that implementing this level of coding is beyond my skills.

I am able to do basic VBA work; but not at this level.

Is there another approach to downloading data from a pass-word protected website? (I do this daily so it would be of great assitance.)

My regards,

/ Gary E.

If you post the code that looks most promising to you and perhaps include what it doesn't do, perhaps someone here can fix it up so it works for you?
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Have a quick look here and see if it helps you.

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-q...d-website.html
    Remember To Do the Following....
    Use [Code].... [/Code] tags when posting code to the thread.
    Mark your thread as Solved if satisfied by using the Thread Tools options.
    If posting the same issue to another forum please show the link

The code looks appropriate for my application.
    He says "You will need to add a "Microsoft WebBrowser" to your sheet"

I assume that is done with the following statement -- but how do I specify that I use Internet Explorer?
    Set ie = Sheet1.WebBrowser1

Thanks,

/ GE

No, you go to the dev tab, click on the insert controls thingy and select more controls and find it there.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com