This isn't a question and I hope I'm not breaking a rule by just posting a solution to my own problem. I've seen several questions in the past about working with the picture formatting tools in Word 2007/2010. For lack of something better to do, I've spent the last few days working on a template add-in for Word that would faithfully copy and apply the formatting of one reference image to a target image.

The other day I cried "Eureka" when I discovered (or thought I did) that just simply selecting the reference image and copying the formatting "Selection.CopyFormatting" and then selecting the target image and pasting the formatting "Selection.PasterFormatting" did the job.

Earlier today I learned that that process handled most of the attributes (e.g., borders, shadow, softedge, etc.) it missed some of the more advanced attributres like artistic effect, sharpness, color tone, etc.

After much whailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I have now found a solution:

[VBA]Sub Test()
PaintReferencePictureFormatToTargetPicture ActiveDocument.InlineShapes(1), ActiveDocument.InlineShapes(2)
End Sub
Sub PaintReferencePictureFormatToTargetPicture(ByRef oILSRef As InlineShape, oILSTarget As InlineShape)
Dim i As Long, j As Long
Dim oILS1 As InlineShape

Set oILS1 = ActiveDocument.Sections(2).Range.InlineShapes(1)
'Select it and copy formatting. This grabs most of the attributes (e.g., border, shadow, soften, etc.)
oILSRef.Select
Selection.CopyFormat
'Set the target image.
oILSTarget.Select
Selection.PasteFormat
On Error Resume Next
'Clear all picture effects in the target shape.
For i = oILSTarget.Fill.PictureEffects.Count To 1 Step -1
oILSTarget.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).Delete
Next i
'Apply picture effects of source ILS to target ILS
For i = 1 To oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Count
'Insert the effect.
oILSTarget.Fill.PictureEffects.Insert oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i)
'Apply the effect parameters.
For j = 1 To oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters.Count
'Debug.Print oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters(j).Name & " " & oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters(j).Value
oILSTarget.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters(j).Value = oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters(j).Value
'Debug.Print oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters(j).Name & " " & oILSRef.Fill.PictureEffects.Item(i).EffectParameters(j).Value
Next j
Next i
'oILSTarget.PictureFormat.ColorType = oILSRef.PictureFormat.ColorType
On Error GoTo 0
End Sub
[/VBA]

To test just insert two pictures. Apply all sorts of formatting and execute the code. I'm a one man show so the results are only valid for the limited testing I've done. If anyone uses this process and find a flaw, then please let me know.