Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: strange characters input from text file

strange characters input from text file

I have a VBA Excel macro that takes text from txt files to add to another text file. Part of the code is:

Open FilePath For Input As #3
    Do Until EOF(3)
    Line Input #3, texttowrite
    MsgBox texttowrite 'this is just to test
    Print #2, texttowrite
    Loop

I have built text files that I open as #3 using wordpad, notepad, and MS Word (saved as txt). Regardless, the very first line of the text file (as found in file #2 and displayed in the MsgBox) starts with three strange characters: ?

Those characters do not show up in the file I read from (opened as #3) using notepad, word pad, etc. However, they do show up in the file I am writing to (#2) using any program as well as in the MsgBox I added to debug.

The characters are not on any other line. Other than those characters at the start of the first line there are no problems. The program is building html web pages from data and files listed in an Excel spread sheet and works perfectly except for the ? in the first lines.

Where do the characters come from?

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    I'm not sure where they come from. Perhaps you can attach the file that causes this problem. But when you use a Message Box to display the text, are those characters shown as the first line? If so, you can just use an If statement to not write those to the new file.

Right now I have a quick workaround of putting something I don't need in the first line, and then, before the Do until EOF loop I input the first line and ignore it. Then I start copying. But I don't like having to add a wasted line at the beginning of each file. Most importantly, I am extremely curious about those three characters and where they come from.

BoardCoder
    Licensed Coder VBAX Expert mark007's Avatar
    My first thought is: are you sure it's a plain text file and not a unicode or rich-text file? Make sure you save-as the file as text only.

"Computers are useless. They can only give you answers." - Pablo Picasso
    Mark Rowlinson FIA | The Code Net

Yes, the files are saved as plain text. Several files have no problem. Others have the characters "?" at the very beginning of the file, but nowhere else in the file. These characters are not seen when I open the file in Notepad, wordpad, MS Word, or Front Page. However, when I do the Line Input and display the results in a MsgBox the characters show up. Then when I print the input to another file, the characters show up in that file using any of the above programs.

I use a workaround now of reading the first line and, for each character in the first line is greater than 131 ascii, replacing that character with a blank.

But I am still curious about the source of the characters.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Can you post the code you are using and attach the file that has the problem? Perhaps we can notice the problem.

Also, to follow up on what Mark said. Open one of the problem files and copy all the text to Notepad (now Wordpad). Then save, and try your macro on the new file. Does the problem persist?

BoardCoder
    Please attach an example of a file for which this is happening for us to take a look at. Odd initial characters are almost always headers to specify the encoding.

Quote Originally Posted by mark007
    Please attach an example of a file for which this is happening for us to take a look at. Odd initial characters are almost always headers to specify the encoding.

Mark007,
    I have attached a zip file with the text file I am using (navcol.txt) and another text file with the Excel macro.

Thanks,
    John

When I open your files both of them have strange characters (?) in the first line.

Norie,
    What are you using to open them? I just opened them (opened the uploaded files from my message) with notepad and didn't see any strange characters. I do see the characters at the start when I use the macro in micro.txt in Excel.
    Thanks

BoardCoder
    Your files are both encoded with UTF-8 and therefore have the byte order marks EF BB BF (in hex). When you create the file in notepad and click save-as make sure that the encoding in the second dropdown is set to ANSI rather than UTF-8.

Mark007,
    Your files are both encoded with UTF-8 and therefore have the byte order marks EF BB BF (in hex). When you create the file in notepad and clcik save-as make sure that the encoding in the second dropdown is set to ANSI rather than UTF-8.
    Thanks. That's it. I don't know how I got UTF-8 on the files I was using. I tried another time and the default on notepad was ansii, and the characters were not there when I read them using the excle macro. Then I tried saving as UTF-8 and got the characters. I am not sure how I ended up saving the earlier files as UTF-8.

Since the files the macro will be using will come from many sources I have added a filter to remove inappropriate characters from the first line.

Do you know how low, in hex, the codes might be for any type of encoding? I will filter out characters below a certain value.

Thanks,
    John

BoardCoder
    Here's a list of possible byte order marks for different formats:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...icode_42jv.asp

Mark,
    Thanks. I will set my filter to cut out those codes.
    John

VBAX Expert
    Mark,
    Thanks. I will set my filter to cut out those codes.
    John
    John: if your problem is now resolved, mark the thread "solved"
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

MWE, Thanks. I didn't know about that. And thanks to Mark007 for solving the problem.

VBAX Newbie
    I have same problem, but I am working with utf-8 csv files on purpose . When macro merged them, the first data entry of second and other following merging documents in the merged document (utf-8 file) have these strange format characters and I cannot find the way to get rid of them. The outcome file has to be without these characters because other system doesn't work and procedure stops with error. Probably the reason why it is hapenning is because it's chucking in the file header which specifies that the file is in UTF-8 format. Is it possible to solve it?

VBAX Sage

It's better to start your own question, instead of tacking it on to a 12 year thread

If you can attach a small example CSV it would be easier to see what's going on

Use [Go Advanced] at the bottom right and then the paperclip icon.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Paul, When you're done, can you Close this old thread? Thanks. Sam.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ