Consulting

Thread: New to VB/Word Macros - Need Help!

Question New to VB/Word Macros - Need Help!

Hey all. Brand new to the site. Here's what I'm trying to do...

Where I work we have many templates available to the entire company. In order to know which template is which, we use a header and a footer so you can quickly identify the document. This works great until we just created two templates which are customer-oriented letters and won't just be used internally, but externally. We obviously don't want our annoying header and footer going to our customers, so the direction I was asked to go is this:

Can we write something into the document that would create a popup window when the user tries to save the template that would remind them to delete the header and footer information? OR can we have a simple command window that would ask the user, "Would you like to delete the header and footer information so this form can be sent externally?" I'm having a heck of a time trying to write this. My knowledge of VB is minimal and has only been used in the past for very basic macros. :embarrassed:

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

VBAX Master
    Is the header/footer info for these two customer-oriented letters being generated automatically by some process?

If yes-- do you have access to that process?

If no-- why can't you simply remove the header/footer info from the templates in the first place?

The short answer to your question is: there is no short answer. You need to give more information about how your templates are structured, what global addins are currently in use, how you intend clients/customers to receive these letters, etc.

What you're describing is similar to a "metadata" problem (i.e., stuff you use internally that you don't want exposed externally) -- however, most of this metadata stuff is usually in less visible areas, which is why it makes sense to have automated processes which take care of removing the metadata automatically before the information is sent outside of the company.

But you're describing an area that isn't normally considered a metadata area: the very visible header/footer info. Why not just remove it from the template and not have to worry about removing it later?

EDIT: otherwise, if you're simply asking for code about how to display a message to the user, and delete stuff from headers/footers -- then why don't you post the results of your searching. There are numerous examples all over this forum and the internet in general for "msgbox" and "word headers/footers" that a google search can give you. Beyond that-- you will need more questions, but please provide a bit more context and a starting point.

- Frosty