Consulting

Thread: 64-bit support

64-bit support

The time has come (without going into specifics) where I need to be supporting 64-bit Office, but also need to maintain compatibility back to Office 2003.

Changing API declarations for Win32 libraries is straightforward, as is regular variable declaration within a procedure by using conditional compilation.. But what about declaring variables in the parameters of a function?

ie

Public Function MyFunction (lngLong1 as LongPtr, lngLong2 as LongPt)
    <some code>
    some.thing=lngLong1
    something.else=lngLong2
    <some code>
    End Function

That will work fine on Office '10, but I have no option but to support Office 2003 (clients). How do I convert that to conditionally compile?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Do be aware that 32-bit Addins will not work with 64-bit Office. For that reason, MS recommends only installing Office in 64-bit mode where really necessary (mostly to do with humungous Excel workbooks).
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Yes I agree, there aren't many situations where you'd install it - but as you've noted, the big Excel workbooks (and the extra capability that gives in terms of Powerpivot etc) are a big draw for some industry sectors. If a client deploys it, I have to support it.

You have to create two versions of the function and put both inside conditional compilation directives.
    Be as you wish to seem

Ah okay, that's what I was afraid of! Not ideal, but no choice in this instance I think.

Thanks!

Actually I just did a quick test and it seems you can simply make the declaration line conditional, though I think it may end up less confusing to create separate routines in most cases.
    Be as you wish to seem

Quote Originally Posted by Aflatoon
    Actually I just did a quick test and it seems you can simply make the declaration line conditional, though I think it may end up less confusing to create separate routines in most cases.
    How did you structure that line? I tried something along those lines but couldn't get it to work... I suspect it was finger trouble, though

[vba]#If VBA7 Then
    Public Function Blah(args as LongPtr)
    #Else
    Public Function Blah(args as Long)
    #End If[/vba]
    Be as you wish to seem

Ah yeah that works a treat, thanks!