Consulting

Thread: access - using scanner

VBAX Regular
    Post access - using scanner

Is it possibel to have access linked to a scanner to read Bar Codes.

As I would like to build a database for inventory control if possible where the users use a scanner for entry

Yes, it's possible. There are oodles of third party apps and plugins that will add bar codes to lots of applications. Just search in google for access and barcodes, and I'm sure you'll return more results than you can read.

One REALLY important thing to note when dealing with barcodes in any app... they just look like numbers. Make sure that your field type is a string, or else they will drop all leading zeros on you.

HTH,
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Yes, making the field type text is the easiest way to go. (An alternative is to set the format so that it preserves leading zeros.) If it's an .adp, then use var(char). You won't need to use the numbers for calculations, so there's really no impact performance by storing as text.