Consulting

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Section break removal

VBAX Regular
    Hi Frosty and Fumei, back again with some progress. I've been wrestling with this and delayed replying till I had progress to report.

Frosty, the code you posted didn't work for me as it was, since the header text was a bit more complicated - page numbers for example which meant all the headers were "unique". And I wanted to ignore spacing. But I stuck with your concept of analyzing header text to turn on the linktoprevious. I have this working for me now. Here's the code for that. Works beautifully, and I show LinkToPrevious=True exactly where I should, and not where I shouldn't.

[VBA]Sub RSectionBrk_2()
    Dim oDoc As Document
    Dim oSec As Section
    Dim hf As HeaderFooter
    Dim hfCurr As String
    Dim hfPrev As String

Set oDoc = ActiveDocument

For Each oSec In oDoc.Sections
    'skip the first section
    If oSec.Index = 1 Then
    GoTo l_next
    End If

For Each hf In oSec.Headers
    If oSec.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Tables.Count > 0 Then
    'get the table in the header, which contains table title info - call the function for this
    hfCurr = fGetHeaderText(oSec.Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Tables(1))
    hfPrev = fGetHeaderText(oDoc.Sections(oSec.Index - 1).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).Range.Tables(1))
    If hfCurr = hfPrev Then
    hf.LinkToPrevious = True
    End If
    End If
    Next
    l_next:
    Next

End Sub

Public Function fGetHeaderText(oTable As Table) As String
    Dim rngWhere As Range
    Dim sRet As String
    Dim oCell As Cell

With oTable.Range
    'start at the last cell, and move backwards until our first non-empty cell
    Set oCell = .Cells(.Cells.Count)
    Do Until Replace(oCell.Range.Text, Chr(13) & Chr(7), "") <> ""
    Set oCell = oCell.Previous
    Loop

Set rngWhere = oCell.Range
    'get the text of this cell, ignoring the special end of cell marker
    sRet = Replace(rngWhere.Text, Chr(13) & Chr(7), "")

'get the previous cell until the Page number
    Do Until InStr(oCell.Previous.Range.Text, "Page") > 0
    Set oCell = oCell.Previous
    Set rngWhere = oCell.Range
    sRet = " - " & sRet
    sRet = Replace(rngWhere.Text, Chr(13) & Chr(7), "") & sRet
    Loop
    End With

fGetHeaderText = sRet

End Function
    [/VBA]

So, after that, it was on to the next bit. Deleting the section breaks and inserting manual page breaks. I tried your code up above first, and I'm sorry to report that it didn't work for me either. For some reason, it deleted all my headers. And it deleted all the unneccessary section breaks but didn't put in a page break. I thought I would try coding it myself before coming back here, using your framework, which did work. (i.e. the conditional "if linktoprevious" bit was working, because the only section breaks getting deleted were the ones I wanted deleted. I just didn't want headers deleted, and I needed manual page breaks to replace the deleted section breaks.)

I am not all the way there yet. The code is working so far, in that it inserts a page break right before each section break that I want deleted. And only before those section breaks that I want deleted. And my headers are all preserved, too. But - I can't quite get to the end of it - I'm having trouble figuring out how to delete the section break after the page break has been inserted. Here's the code for the next bit. (It won't stay as a separate subroutine. When it works, I will include it in the Sub RSectionBrk_2 above. But while I am trying to get it to work, I coded it as it's own subroutine so I could focus on just that code.)

[VBA]Sub SectionPage()
    Dim iSec As Integer
    Dim oDoc As Document

For iSec = oDoc.Sections.Count To 2 Step -1
    If oDoc.Sections(iSec).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).LinkToPrevious = True Then
    With oDoc.Sections(iSec).Range
    .Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseStart
    .InsertBreak Type:=wdPageBreak
    End With
    End If
    Next iSec
    End Sub [/VBA]

This has been a real learning experience for me! I thought it would be better for me to try and figure some of this out for myself rather than coming back and saying "it didn't work for me" without doing anything to contribute. So, you've had to wait. I apologize for that. Can you help me at all with the last bit? I've tried several code bits for deleting section breaks but so far nothing I do on that is working.

There was a question about RTF files. These aren't RTF, no. They are DOCX. My example document is DOC because I have an older copy of Word on my home PC than on my work PC, but the real documents are DOCX. I figured it wouldn't matter whether it was DOC or DOCX for this purpose. I am not very clear, admittedly, on the difference between RTF and DOC/DOCX. (I assume there must be a difference?) But certainly all the files I'm working with, with all this VBA coding, are DOCX, if that helps.
    Last edited by ceilidh; 10-31-2012 at 06:39 AM.

VBAX Regular
    Right, I've done some more tinkering. Another step forward. This code below is an edited version of Sub SectionPage() from my last post. Now, this code inserts a page break and deletes the section break. However, there's another problem. Here's the code first:

[VBA]Sub SectionPage()
    Dim iSec As Integer
    Dim oDoc As Document

For iSec = oDoc.Sections.Count To 2 Step -1
    If oDoc.Sections(iSec).Headers(wdHeaderFooterPrimary).LinkToPrevious = False Then
    GoTo l_next
    Else
    With oDoc.Sections(iSec).Range
    .Collapse Direction:=wdCollapseStart
    .InsertBreak Type:=wdPageBreak
    .Paragraphs.First.Previous.Range.Characters.Last = vbCr
    End With
    End If
    l_next:
    Next iSec
    End Sub [/VBA]

The problem is, when it deletes the section break, somehow, it is resetting any "LinkToPrevious = False" to be "LinkToPrevious = True".

I stepped through the code with the immediate window. This is happening on this line: .Paragraphs.First.Previous.Range.Characters.Last = vbCr

So for example if I get to Section 6, and the next section (Section 5) has a header where LinkToPrevious = False. When the code executes for Section 6, right up to the .Paragraphs.... line, the Section 5 header is still showing LinkToPrevious = False. But after the .Paragraphs... line executes, the Section 5 header shows "LinkToPrevious = True".

Why is this happening, and how can I make that line remove the section break for Section 6 whilst leaving the Section 5 LinkToPrevious setting alone?