Consulting

Thread: AddIn Installation

AddIn Installation

I hate to admit it, but I can't figure out how to install an AddIn. It all seems to depend on seeing the AddIn's name in the AddIn Manager's dialog box. I've never seen anything in that box ... it's always empty. I downloaded the FindLink AddIn and put it into
    C:\Documents and Settings\<my name>\Application Data\Microsoft\AddIns
    but now what?? As I said it didn't show up in the AddIn Mgr list. J Walkenbach says to use the Browse button to find it, but there isn't any Browse button. I give up.

When you go to Tools|Addins, there isn't a Browse button on the right? (3rd down under Okay & Cancel)
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

What version are you running? And you are in Tools | Addins, correct??

Tools|Addins

...should show a window with a bunch of little addins you can put checkmarks by (while you're in there put a checkmark by Analysis Toolpack, hehehe...)

To the right of the window is a Browse button. That's what J-Walk is referring to.

If you don't see anything in that window and/or no browse button then your cursed IT dept has probably restricted access to it.

Pic attached from 97. In 2003 there is also an "Automation" button below Browse...

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Sorry, Gang. I thought I was supposed to use the AddIns button on the VBE toolbar. I guess I didn't really realize or expect one to be on the "sheet" Tools. OK, the "sheet" version looks like you describe. Thanks.

I could be corrected here, but I think that one is for managing COM addins... like MZ Tools.

I did it! I got FindLink installed. Thanks for all your guidance.

Uhh... Findlink is the name of the addin?

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Yeah, FindLink.xla, by Bob Manville, MS MVP. Generally found/downloaded from Stephen Bullen's website. . . www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

I'm disappointed that I can't see the macros in FindLink.xla.
    Where can I go to get it?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    That is proprietary code. Why do you want to?

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Woops! I really didn't think about that. Erase the last question.

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru

Sorry, won't delete the message, it's good stuff and things everyone should know. You may want to think about putting an email out to Mr. Manville and posing some questions to him. I wouldn't ask him for his [source] code but you might inquire about the methods he used. The worst he can say is no.