Consulting

Thread: Group drawing in powerpoint with macro?

VBAX Regular
    Group drawing in powerpoint with macro?

Hi.

I need to create a powerpoint that can handle a group drawing by mouse clicks for a competition. We have 12 teams and 3 groups.

The thing is, we're drawing the teams arbitrarily 1 team at a time, and need to assign it to group A, B and C respectively in sequence. Until all 12 teams are devided between the 3 groups. Since we are drawing them arbitrarily, I cant in advance create my powerpoint to simulate the drawing. I need a solution that can by hovering the mouse onto a team (photo icon), clicking on it, then assigns the team into the group. Is this possible with some sort of macro and is it complicated to code?

I have attached the powerpoint template we're gonna use.

Thanks!
    Attached Files Attached Files

VBAX Master
    The macro wouldn't be too difficult but your template seems to be just a single image. You would nned to create a slide where the team icons were separate images and the team boxs were textboxes surely.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Regular

Here's the right file. The fields are textboxes and the icons are separate images.

VBAX Regular
    Would you be able to help me out? I might be able to pay you for your trouble in terms of sponsor products we get from our many sponsers.
    http://www.casecompetition.com/partn...oduct_sponsers

I'm a complete newbie when it comes to macros in ppt

VBAX Master

I can add macros to sort the logos into four groups randomly.

Try this:

In slide show mode first click the blue circle once.

Now click any of the logos.

Continue until all are sorted

ESC key to end.

No payment is needed but we would like to be metioned as a sponsor and our email published john ATSIGN pptalchemy.co.uk
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Regular

Ofcourse I would gladly add you to our sponsors group and link to your pptalchemy.co.uk site!

I saw your attachment. Thanks a lot so far!
    The way it should work ideally (don't know if its too complicated) is that the first team we draw will go into Group A. Second team we draw to Group B, and again the third team we draw to Group C.
    Now we have drawn 3 teams and have 9 left. Then the next draw (4th team we pick) should be put into Group A and so on.. So basically A, B, C ... rewind A, B, C etc. Until all 12 teams has been drawn and there are 4 teams in each group A,B,C - Does it make sense?
    We basically draw the teams like they do in champions league. With small notes of paper in a basket and then want to show it on a big screen, while we're doing it.

Also - if possible at all - when I click on a team, I see it instantly gets put into a group. Would it possible to make a 'stylish' motion where the icon/image will go from its current position to where its being put in a semi-slowly flying kind of motion - first going in a upward sloping curve and ending in a downward sloping curve until it reaches its destination?

VBAX Master
    Both of those would be possible (but tricky) and I am flying out to Microsoft on Monday so my time is short.

I could maybe make it possible to drag and drop the icons with a mouse. (I see you have already tried this) I know the method you tried doesn't work in 2010 but I can fix that. Not sure it will work if you have 2013. You can email me directly if you wish.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Regular
    Looks like I need 10 posts to make a PM. Could you PM your personal email?

Actually we thought of another way!
    Instead of making a motion (which indeed is tricky) - could we make a fade out/fade in effect with the images? So by clicking on one of the universities, the image will fade out and fade in at the dictated position?

/Emil