Consulting

Thread: Resize Chart as Picture

Resize Chart as Picture

Hey guys.. I'm copying over a chart object (as a picture) into a word bookmark and resize the picture. I can copy the chart as a picture no problem, just can't figure out how to resize (as a picture). I want to leave the actual chart alone. Any ideas?

[VBA]
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Trend Charts").ChartObjects("Chart2").CopyPicture

'Somehow resize the image in the clipboard

pappword.Selection.Goto Name:="CHART_WATCH"
    pappword.Selection.Paste

[/VBA]

I'm pretty sure that I need to set the picture as a variable and edit it that way, but the above is the only way I know how to copy the chart as a picture. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Size the chart before making it a picture. HTH. Dave

I need to resize as a picture, leaving the chart untouched. I'm not looking for simple work-arounds... only code-based solutions.

I'll re-phrase... copy the chart, resize the copy then make the copy a picture (and then delete the copy). I don't think you will be able to re-size the picture in the clipboard. I'll post if I google anything that helps. Dave

thanks dave... it gets messy resizing charts because excel decides to scale things differently.. title, data values, etc... but when they're rendered as pictures, it scales perfectly. i think i found a solution albeit not pretty

Since I have several charts that I'm converting, I did it as a function. The function gets called and then the contents gets pasted to a bookmark position in a word document

[VBA]
    'Converts a chart object into a picture, resizes, then cutcopies it to be transferred to reports
    Function Chart_to_Pic(shtname, chartname, w, h)
    'Goto the sheet and copy the chart
    Sheets(shtname).Select
    ActiveSheet.ChartObjects(chartname).Activate
    ActiveChart.PlotArea.Select
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Select
    ActiveChart.ChartArea.Copy
    Range("f13").Select

'Paste as picture
    ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (JPEG)", Link:=False, _
    DisplayAsIcon:=False

'Rename and scale
    with selection
    .Name = "Graph"
    .ShapeRange.ScaleWidth w, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft
    .ShapeRange.ScaleHeight h, msoFalse, msoScaleFromTopLeft
    'Cutcopy (essentially deleting the copied picture)
    .Cut
    end with
    End Function
    [/VBA]
    Last edited by IRish3538; 02-20-2013 at 03:12 PM.

now I have a followup question... I don't have a lot of experience in transferring into word but for some reason, I get an error at the "PasteSpecial" line when I run it in sequence while the word document open.

I get "PasteSpecial method of worksheet class failed". I'm assuming that it's because I'm working with the word doc but I don't know how to get back to the excel class (if that's right??) without ending my word session.

If you try the link it shows you how to resize a pic in the bookmark of a Word doc. As is, if you want to resize the pic in XL first, you need to save it to a file after resizing it (rather than using cut) and then insert the pic file in the bookmark, again the link outlines how to open the Word file and insert a pic file in a bookmark. Dave
    ps. I like your function idea. You should however code to limit the use of selection... it usually is not necessary and slows code execution

VBAX Newbie
    Yes you can set the chart appearance by using the XML file format.There is a chart software known as Koolchart.com which provides this feature.
    Last edited by LusiJohn; 11-22-2013 at 03:00 AM.