Consulting

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Changing Site Host

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Ok Marco...I'm gonna get this one of these days even if it kills me! ...(Now it's bed TIME)
    _________
    Groetjes,

Joost Verdaasdonk
    M.O.S. Master

Mark your thread solved, when it has been, by hitting the Thread Tools dropdown at the top of the thread.
    (I don't answer questions asked through E-mail or PM's)

Quote Originally Posted by MOS MASTER
    Thanx Marco..and yes I know..you love to jump in those questions..hence the call for you!

But to be honest the straight forward answer of Jake was easy to follow but your explanation makes me dazzle! (Time is a difficult subject to me.....)
    Ordinary mortals are not time lords so time is indeed a difficult subject for most to comprehend, but these two chaps you call Jake and Marco have done a reasonably tolerable job of explaining this for you
    The Doctor

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base
    Good luck with the change over . Hope to meet you all again on the "other side"
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    Well it looks like everything has transferred over.

If anything is not working properly let me know.

Thanks

VBAX Expert
    Well it looks like everything has transferred over.

If anything is not working properly let me know.

Thanks
    DRJ: I do hope that there is some fine tuning/tweaking yet to be done. There are only two regular users, a half dozen guests (plus some other junk) on-line, yet performance is pretty bad (noticeably slower than before).
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Administrator
    VP-Knowledge Base VBAX Grand Master mdmackillop's Avatar
    MVP (Excel 2008-2010)

Post a workbook with sample data and layout if you want a quicker solution.

To help indent your macros try Smart Indent

Please remember to mark threads 'Solved'

I'm not sure that I can tell a difference in performance, MWE.

Site Admin
    Jedi Master
    I don't see any performace issues (on 56k even). Our server loads are much lower than before (.31, .18, .10) currently when they were over 5.0 consistantly before.

Most likely the name servers have not completely updated for you. So it takes longer to fetch the files. I would expect this to fix itself in a day or two.

Jake, I don't think with 56k that you could see a difference.

And are you making stuff up about DNS as you're going along?

Jake, you do good work, M'boy. Things seem to be working normally via my DSL in Northern California. What are you going to do with all the money they paid you to make the conversion? LOL My clock (for what it's worth) says 2:03 PM here (Pacific Daylight Savings Time). Now if you could just fix it so I didn't have to login each time . . .

Later: I've noticed that at times I am getting a significant response delay, for what it's worth.

VBAX Expert
    I'm not sure that I can tell a difference in performance, MWE.
    well, I certainly can.

I am running broadband (approx 500KB) and estimate that responses from the site take 2x to 3x longer than before. A few months ago, responses were just about instantaneous. Before the changeover, they took 2 - 4 seconds. Now, they are 10 seconds. I have encountered at least a dozen timeouts and a half dozen "refusals" in the 30 minutes or so I have poked around today.

Perhaps there is some (coincidental) slowdown with my ISP, but I perceive no slowdown at other sites

Update: I just tried logging into the forum on two different computers running WinXP (SP1 on one and SP2 on the other) and using a variety of browsers (IE, FireFox and Netscape). Nothing is working properly. I get 5 refusals for each connection and endless waits. Connection and interaction with any other site tried is instantaneous.

Update (20:41 hrs): MUCH improved.

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Just A Dude VBAX Tutor Scottie P's Avatar
    Most likely the name servers have not completely updated for you. So it takes longer to fetch the files. I would expect this to fix itself in a day or two.
    I would have to agree with Jake on this.
    Earlier today I was having great speed, but right now things are a bit slow. Since most ISPs post a 36 - 72 hour lag time in DNS update, I would say it is safe [ and correct ] to assume that some are much faster at updating than others.

I know for a fact that Comcast (depending on region) is not very quick to update; having gotten this information straight from one of the engineers in our region I thought it was worth mentioning.

I would expect that things will still need a day or so to level out, but we should all be back to enjoying the speeds that we are used to - perhaps even better - pretty soon.

Scott
    Life is Visual: Presence is Perception...
    How we see the world is how we respond to it. ~* Peace *~

VBAX Expert
    I would have to agree with Jake on this.
    Earlier today I was having great speed, but right now things are a bit slow. Since most ISPs post a 36 - 72 hour lag time in DNS update, I would say it is safe [ and correct ] to assume that some are much faster at updating than others.

I know for a fact that Comcast (depending on region) is not very quick to update; having gotten this information straight from one of the engineers in our region I thought it was worth mentioning.

I would expect that things will still need a day or so to level out, but we should all be back to enjoying the speeds that we are used to - perhaps even better - pretty soon.

Scott
    this is most likely the problem I have experienced since approx noon today. Things seemed to get worse as the day progressed. By 4PM, I could not connect at all.

But things are MUCH BETTER now.

Cool! Glad to hear it. I suppose one more day of roller-coaster and we should be golden!

S

Mac Moderator VBAX Expert shades's Avatar
    Well done, Jake. You even had time to fix an issue that an old codger should have taken care of.

And I am on 56K at home, all the time. No problems noted - except I didn't get any smarter with Excel when switching and upgrading. When does that come?

Software: LibreOffice 3.3 on Mac OS X 10.6.5
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3.28.2008 )
    Humanware: Older than dirt
    --------------------
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich

Once again yesterday for about a third of the day I could not send private messages or send replies or create new threads because the input editor was locked. This is the second time this week that's happened. I don't know whether it's connected with the changeover or not, but I kinda think it isn't. Is this a known problem?? The symptoms are that I can fill in a title or private message address OK, but when I get to the message area, it stays colored brown (for me) instead of changing to green. It just won't accept any input.

Try refreshing the page before you start. It happens every now and then, but usually a quick refresh does it. I find it happens most often when I go back to a page...
    Ken Puls, CMA - Microsoft MVP (Excel)
    I hate it when my computer does what I tell it to, and not what I want it to.

Learn how to use our KB tags! -||- Ken's Excel Website -||- Ken's Excel Forums -||- My Blog -||- Excel Training Calendar

This is a shameless plug for my new book "RibbonX - Customizing the Office 2007 Ribbon". Find out more about it here!

Help keep VBAX clean! Use the 'Thread Tools' menu to mark your own threads solved!

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Also try clearing your cookies. That's cured it for me before.

I have had the same thing CDude. It turned out to be temp files - actually files in the cookies folder holding onto certain parts of the site (mostly script files, etc). I got rid of those - without deleting the cookies - and everything was great.
    That happens from time to time and in my case is related to IE settings

X

I haven't kept notes but I feel like it happens every now and again after I refresh a page and refreshing again (or going advanced if I'm in quick reply) normally clears it for me. I had assumed it was a Firefox thing as it seemed to start months ago after I got Firefox but if it happens on IE as well I don't know. It obviously affects several of us so you must have been lucky, Cyberdude, if it's only just started happening to you.
    Enjoy,
    Tony

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Teach him how to fish and he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

I'm (slowly) building my own site: www.WordArticles.com