Consulting

Thread: Shortcut Keys on the Ribbon?

Shortcut Keys on the Ribbon?

Hi all!

I've found that I can add a shortcut key to a button by putting "&" in the button's label in the Custom UI Editor. Is it possible to add a shortcut key to the menu item as well (the parent of the button)? I haven't been able to find anything on that. Seems a bit of a waste to be able to use shortcuts on the buttons but not the menus...once I physically click on the menu item I want, I might as well click the button under it too instead of switching to the keyboard to select the button.

Thanks!

Cheryl

VBAX Contributor
    In Word at least, they seem to be assigned automatically in the format
    Y# where # is a sequential number starting at 1. The problem with that however is that it's a bit dynamic, particularly if you are using code to load or unload Add-ins.

The UI Editor does not like the ampersand being used in the tab label in the way that you can add it to the button label.

I believe you just need to set its keytip attribute to the shortcut key you want.
    Be as you wish to seem

I would greatly appreciate some sample code, because nothing I've tried to add a shortcut key to a menu item has worked (only the buttons worked).

<menu id="splitMenu" itemSize="large" keytip="Q">

for example
    Be as you wish to seem

Ah, thank you! I've used keytips for the tabs (though it took a few tries to find one that it will accept--I kept seeing Y1). I also used keytips for the menu items and the buttons. Again, some will work and others will have a YA, YB, etc., so it took awhile to find a combination that will work.

Is there something that shows which keytips Word has already assigned? It's very frustrating!

I haven't figured out how to actually use the shortcuts using &amp; yet. In Word 2003, I just use Alt+n. What do I do in Word 2010 to access these with just the keyboard?

Thanks!

Cheryl

If you press Alt the keytips for the tabs appear, then press one of those to activate that tab and you'll see the tips for the controls
    Be as you wish to seem