Consulting

Thread: VBA Prevent File From Saving

VBAX Tutor
    VBA Prevent File From Saving

Hi, I wonder whether someone may be able to help me please.

Using a solution I found here http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57929 I've put together the following script which prevents users from saving a file if key cells are empty.

[vba]Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean)
    Dim rFound As Range
    Dim strFind As String
    Dim lLoop As Long

On Error Resume Next
    With Sheets("Input")

For lLoop = 1 To 9
    strFind = Choose(lLoop, "--Select--", "Enter your FTE", "Enter the Project Code", "Enter the name of the Project", _
    "Enter the Work Package description", "Enter the name of the Enhancement(s)", "Enter the Work Package End Date", _
    "Enter the name of your Work Manager", "Enter the name of your Line Manager")
    Set rFound = .Range("B7:S400").Find(What:=strFind, After:=.Range("B7"), _
    LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlWhole, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
    SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False)
    On Error GoTo 0
    If Not rFound Is Nothing Then
    If IsEmpty(rFound(1, 2)) Then
    MsgBox "I'm sorry, your record(s) contain incomplete fields and the file cannot be saved. Please correct these and try again"
    Cancel = True
    End If
    End If
    Next lLoop

End With

End Sub[/vba]
    I'd like to extend this a little further, but I'm a little unsure about how to go about it.

What I'd like is to add an additional check which is:

Starting at row 7, if there is a value in Column I, look at Columns T:AE on the same row and if they are blank show the same error message and prevent the user from saving the file.

I'm certainly no expert in VBA, but I tried to add the following line after the 'Next lLoop'.

[vba]If Sheets("Input").Range("I1") > 0 And IsEmpty(Sheets("Input").Range("T1:AE1")) Then
    MsgBox "I'm sorry, your record(s) contain incomplete fields and the file cannot be saved. Please correct these and try again"
    [/vba]
    Although no error message is returned, this piece of the script isn't working because the file can still be saved with these cells blank.

I just wondered whether someone could possibly take a look at this please and let me know where I'm going wrong.

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris

Must they all be blank to prevent saving??
    Have a Great Day!

VBAX Mentor
    [vba]If Sheets("Input").Range("I1") > 0 And IsEmpty(Sheets("Input").Range("T1:AE1")) Then
    Cancel = True
    [/vba]

VBAX Tutor
    Hi @patel, thank you for taking the time to reply to my post and for highlighting the error.

I have made the change, but unfortunately, the document still saves with these cells blank.

Many thanks and kind regards

Chris