Consulting

Thread: Update Stmt - Refer to Field Nm with Variable

VBAX Contributor
    Update Stmt - Refer to Field Nm with Variable

I'm creating a Word macro that Updates an Access DB Table. I have to redo this several times, so I thought if I could refer to the field name with a variable, I could just write the update statement once and then call it each time I need to.

I'm getting a run time error, "No value given for one or more of the required parameters." I'm assuming this is referencing the variable being used for the field name.

From what I'm reading, it doesn't sound like this is possible, so I'm appealing for a good soul's help before I abandon this approach. Thanks for any help anyone might be able to provide.

"FieldNm" is the variable I'm using.

Code is as follows:

Dim Cn As ADODB.Connection '* Connection String
    Dim oCm As ADODB.Command '* Command Object
    Dim MyProjectIDNum As Long

Set Cn = New ADODB.Connection
    Cn.ConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source='" & MyDataPath & "';Persist Security Info=False"
    Cn.ConnectionTimeout = 40
    Cn.Open

Set oCm = New ADODB.Command
    oCm.ActiveConnection = Cn
    oCm.CommandText = "UPDATE [My Projects] SET '" & FieldNm & "' = ('" & UpdateData & "') WHERE [ID]= '" & MyProjectIDNum & "'"

oCm.Execute

If Cn.State <> adStateClosed Then
    Cn.Close
    End If

Application.StatusBar = False
    If Not oCm Is Nothing Then Set oCm = Nothing
    If Not Cn Is Nothing Then Set Cn = Nothing

VBAX Contributor
    I guess this is not good practice. I just thought it would be more handy to use a variable and CALL a single instance of the UPDATE procedure rather than have several instances of the UPDATE procedure throughout the code.

Oh well.

I guess this is not good practice. I just thought it would be more handy to use a variable and CALL a single instance of the UPDATE procedure rather than have several instances of the UPDATE procedure throughout the code.

Oh well.
    try

[VBA]

oCm.CommandText = "UPDATE [My Projects] SET [" & FieldNm & "] = ('"
    & UpdateData & "') WHERE [ID]= '" & MyProjectIDNum &ick "'"
    [/VBA]

I use variables all the time in SQL code, but what I do is create SQL statements in a memo field, then do a quick replace prior to statement execution.