Consulting

Thread: Show progress on extraction of data from DB

VBAX Regular
    Show progress on extraction of data from DB

Dear all,

recently I have faced the following problem: upon the connection to the DB, I wanted to show the data extraction progress to user. I have used progress bar for it. However, I also want to add more specific feedback, say, I'd like user to know, what exactly happends at what stage.

To solve it, I have tried to use labels. The idea is to show the label on the form on the fly, this doesn't work though.. I tried to:
    1. create the labels on the form and make them visible during the extraction
    2. add labels on the fly

Neither of these works as desired: the labels become visible only when the data extraction from DB is over.

Does anybody have a hint? I'd be very grateful.
    Lionne

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    I'd say improving the speed of the data extraction is more important than adding new coding that is slowing the data extraction process.

VBAX Regular

thanks for the reply. THe data extraction doesn't take much time (< 1 min), so I thought during this time it'd be nice to show the user, what is going on...

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Can't you speed that up ?

As snb said, if you can speedup the extraction that would be good. Without seeing your code, I can only suggest speedup tricks as shown in: http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=1035

If you need to show progress, try Application.StatusBar.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Hints?
    You probably have to make the form modeless (either the showmodal property set to False or call up the userform with the likes of:
    userform1.show 0
    but be aware that the code calling the userform to show will not wait at that code line until the userform has been closed/unloaded; the code will keep running on.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.