Consulting

Thread: Find the largest value in a column, then copy and paste to a different workbook

VBAX Newbie
    Find the largest value in a column, then copy and paste to a different workbook

I am writing a macro that I am having some trouble with. I would like to have the macro find the largest number in one workbook, and copy and paste that number into the next empty cell in row 3 of another workbook. I have found a code and tweaked it so it copies and pastes data into the correct workbook and worksheet, but I have not figured out how to have it find the largest number or paste it to the next open cell(I only found how to paste it in a single cell). Below is the code i currently have( the if statement is only to check if the copy/paste worked, it will not be part of the final code). Thanks for the help.

[vba]

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim wsMaster As Worksheet, wbDATA As Workbook
    Dim NextRow As Long, LastRow As Long
    Dim vMax As Variant

Set wsMaster = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract Metrics")
    NextRow = wsMaster.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1

Set wbDATA = Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Palkovitz\My Documents\Test\Contracts Metrics.xlsx")
    With wbDATA.Sheets("Contract Task Summary(1)")
    LastRow = .Range("C" & .Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row

If LastRow > 19 Then
    .Range("C" & LastRow).Copy
    wsMaster.Range("C" & 3).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
    wsMaster.Range("C" & 3).PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats
    End If
    End With

wbDATA.Close False
    End Function

[/vba]

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    [vba]
    with Getobject("C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Palkovitz\My Documents\Test\Contracts Metrics.xlsx")
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract Metrics").cells(rows.count,1).end(xlup).offset(1)=application.max(.Sheets(" Contract Task Summary(1)").usedrange)
    .Close False
    end with
    End Sub
    [/vba]

VBAX Newbie
    Thanks for the reply snb, this solves my problem of getting the max number from the other workbook, but i am getting a 'pastespecial method of range class failed', when i implement your code into mine in the [vba]wsMaster.Range("C" & 3).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues[/vba] part of the code. Any ideas why or how to fix? my code now looks like this:
    [vba]
    Dim wsMaster As Worksheet, wbDATA As Workbook
    Dim NextRow As Long, LastRow As Long

Set wsMaster = ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract Metrics")
    NextRow = wsMaster.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row + 1

Set wbDATA = Workbooks.Open("C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Palkovitz\My Documents\Test\Contracts Metrics.xlsx")
    With GetObject("C:\Documents and Settings\Michael Palkovitz\My Documents\Test\Contracts Metrics.xlsx")
    ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Contract Metrics").Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1) = Application.Max(.Sheets("Contract Task Summary(1)").UsedRange)
    .Close False

wsMaster.Range("C" & 3).PasteSpecial xlPasteValues
    wsMaster.Range("C" & 3).PasteSpecial xlPasteFormats
    End With

wbDATA.Close False
    End Sub
    End Sub[/vba]

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    As you might have noticed: my code is a replacement for all your code.
    What kind of formatting do you need in the destination cell ?

VBAX Newbie
    I need the format to be currency. I tried your code and, although there were no errors, No output appeared.

VBAX Newbie
    Also, after closer examination, the code I have in the original post finds the value I need (the last row has the largest value), so all i need is the code to paste into the next empty cell in row 3, instead of just "C3".