Consulting

Thread: Turn CUT on and off

Turn CUT on and off

I'm brand new at this and could use a little guidance. Here's what I'm trying to do:

Disable the CUT option on the ribbon for one type of user and enable it for another.

I have two buttons on a start sheet for two different types of users that unhide certain sheets and enable options for each of them. In Excel 2003, I could use VBA to disable and enable menu buttons, but it looks like I'll need some XML code to disable/enable the buttons on the ribbon.

I downloaded the custom UI editor, found some code, and successfully applied it so that the CUT option on the ribbon is disabled. But it stays that way and I would like to be able to enable/disable based on who's driving, so to speak.

Possible? Any help is appreciated.

Ron
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Well, I think I have it figured out, thanks to forum posts by Andy Pope, Paul Hossler, and XLD as well as instruction found on the following sites:

Ron de Bruin - http://www.rondebruin.nl/win/s2/win013.htm

Greg Maxey - http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/word_tip_p...bbon_main.html

MSDN - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...rs_Dynamically

I'll try to attach a sample workbook to show what I pieced together. Hope others may benefit.

Ron
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

For some reason, I am not able to add an attachment. Sorry.

VBAX Sage
    I tried to post an example for you, and I can't insert [vba] tags, or an attachmentI figure VBAX is having server issues againIf you still are interesting in an example, PM me with an email addressPaulNot only that, the post is being wrapped with < p > tags

Good morning Paul. I think I found what I needed to get the job done, but I would like to see an expert example as I'm sure my initial work, while marginally functional, could be improved. BTW, I found some examples you provided to others that helped me a lot. Thanks for responding and I will send a PM.

VBAX Sage
    I would call it an 'Expert' example, but it seems to work ok :-)Paul

VBAX Sage
    The N and the T make a lot of difference :-)I wouldn't call it an 'Expert' example, but it seems to work ok :-)Paul