Consulting

Thread: running multiple versions of access

running multiple versions of access

Can I run Access 2010 runtime and MS Access 2003 full version on the same computer?

Will it cause problems?

Yes it is possible. Should you? probably not.

Will it cause problems? Probably.

Having two versions of Access installed on the same instance of Windows has issues. This is also referred to as "side-by-side". It should be avoided is possible.

Every time you switch versions Access the version launching has to update the registry. Which can delay the load time by several minutes on some PCs.It will also become the new default app when double clicking on a database.

I find it best to create a shortcut for each database that is prefixed with the correct version of Access to be used.

I have seen database issues/corruption when two versions of Access are opened at the same time in the same instance of Windows.

I do everything I can to avoid installing multiple versions of any Office apps in the same instance of Windows. To avoid this I find it best to use a Virtual Machine (VM) for additional versions of Access on the same machine. This allows each version to be in a separate instance of Windows.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

Great answer. Thanks very much.

You're welcome. Glad we could assist.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    Microsoft Access MVP -2010-2015

Programming: Nine different ways to do it right, a thousand ways to do it wrong.
    Binary--it's as easy as 1-10-11

For numerous reasons I need to run Access97. I have trouble with Windows 10 messing up the registry and ocx links. Do you think Installing Access97 on a virtual machine would help? I never thought of that

Thread is Closed. Please start a new thread.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ