Consulting

Thread: Solved: USB Control or Monitoring using XL VBA?

Just A Dude VBAX Tutor Scottie P's Avatar
    Solved: USB Control or Monitoring using XL VBA?

ahh...ok,

I have a USB device that uses solely the +5 volt and ground (the Data Pos and Data Neg lines are not in use at this time) - USB is merely providing a power source (this is not a PIC device).

The device is a powered breadboard that I built for testing circuit testing; there is no logic at this time and is independent of the PC - save for the USB power dependency. The breadboard unit is capable of multiple power sources outside of the USB - Regulated Variable DC (from an AC input), Dual Parallel +9 volt battery as well as a Fixed & Regulated +5 volt supply (from an AC input).

What I am looking to do is:
    1. find a way to control the USB port and don't know if it is possible. I would like to be able to terminate the USB +5 volt power out on a timer...is this possible AND is it possible using VBA?
    2. I would, of course, prefer to use Excel as the interface. Also, not only terminate the power out, but take periodic line power measurements (am I still at +5 volts or am I running +4.30 volts, etc. I would sure like to measure the mA as well, but that could come later.
    Anyone know if any of this is possible? Even if I could only monitor the line that would be fine for now.
    I have tried to find info concerning controlling USB and there is a lot out there, but nothing in the VBA realm...so I really may be asking the impossible - which is fine and I won't be disappointed at all.

Most of the software available is for PIC devices and is using Logic feedback for measurement and monitoring...I am just asking if it can be done with VBA and if so, how. Since Jake and I had some recent discussions on some of the cool stuff he's been working with lately, it got me to thinking and thought I would put this into the general VBAX arena.

ThanX for having a look!

Scott
    Life is Visual: Presence is Perception...
    How we see the world is how we respond to it. ~* Peace *~

more info...

the more I look...

I opened up 2 of the USB 3rd Party SWs that I have here and checked for monitoring on the line - there isn't any unless I am using the Data + and Data - to provide feedback from the device (and I am still not sure what options I would have there anyway since I am not using the D + and - lines). I won't be going to the Data lines until later, so maybe I wasted a few Kb of thread space on the board with this.

I suppose the option would be to mount a 0-100 mA meter and a kill switch at the USB port ( ) if I am going without Data transfer on the line when using the 3rd party sw.

I also spent some more time looking for monitoring of the line via the PC itself; I wasn't able to find anything viable. I do have the USB Host Controller Data for this particular machine, but don't know if that is going to help.

Scott

I am going to relegate this to the "Who da heck knows!" heap. Feel free to post to it if you have a solution.

Scott

Got a possible monitor for the 5V, just feed it back to the data + line and detect that. If high, it is still powered.