Consulting

Thread: Combine duplicate records and delete

Combine duplicate records and delete

Hi,

I have a veeerrry large spreadsheet that needs some formatting help. The sheet is a list of 5,000+ records, that list account details. Each account is tracked by a KEY number. Problem is that for any given account KEY, there may be 5-6 lines of information. I need to combine all the data for each listed account into one comprehensive line, then delete the duplicate files.

For example, Acct #102460 has three lines of information. The information in each line is slightly different, but each has the same KEY 102460. I need to take the detail information, combine it onto one line of info, then delete the other lines. Then move to the next acct KEY.

I have a general idea of how the code would verify the info, format, and move forward, but I have only used VBA in WORD, and am not very familiar with Excel VBA.

Any suggestions? I have attached a small example that shows how the data starts, then how I would like it to look once formatted correctly.
    Thanks, - M

VBAX Expert
    Hi,

I have a veeerrry large spreadsheet that needs some formatting help. The sheet is a list of 5,000+ records, that list account details. Each account is tracked by a KEY number. Problem is that for any given account KEY, there may be 5-6 lines of information. I need to combine all the data for each listed account into one comprehensive line, then delete the duplicate files.

For example, Acct #102460 has three lines of information. The information in each line is slightly different, but each has the same KEY 102460. I need to take the detail information, combine it onto one line of info, then delete the other lines. Then move to the next acct KEY.

I have a general idea of how the code would verify the info, format, and move forward, but I have only used VBA in WORD, and am not very familiar with Excel VBA.

Any suggestions? I have attached a small example that shows how the data starts, then how I would like it to look once formatted correctly.
    I think this will do what you want.

Sub CleanUp()
    Dim MainRow As Long
        Dim AuxRow As Long
        Dim MatchNum As Long
        Dim KeyCol As Long
    MainRow = 2
        KeyCol = 1
        MatchNum = 0
        Do While Cells(MainRow, KeyCol) <> ""
            AuxRow = MainRow + 1
            Do While Cells(AuxRow, KeyCol) <> ""
                If Cells(MainRow, KeyCol) = Cells(AuxRow, KeyCol) Then
                    MatchNum = MatchNum + 1
                    Range(Cells(AuxRow, 17), Cells(AuxRow, 20)).Select
                    Selection.Copy
                    Range(Cells(MainRow, 17 + 4 * MatchNum), Cells(MainRow, 20 + 4 * MatchNum)).Select
                    ActiveSheet.Paste
                    Rows(AuxRow).Delete
                    AuxRow = AuxRow - 1
                End If
                AuxRow = AuxRow + 1
            Loop
            MainRow = MainRow + 1
            MatchNum = 0
        Loop
    End Sub
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.

Thank you, this is great. Works for exactly what I needed it to do. You just saved me about 8 hours of formatting time.
    Thanks, - M

VBAX Expert
    Thanks so much!!

Thank you, this is great. Works for exactly what I needed it to do. You just saved me about 8 hours of formatting time.
    glad to help. Please mark the thread Solved.
    "It's not just the due date that's important, it's also the do date" [MWE]

When your problem has been resolved, mark the thread SOLVED by clicking on the Thread Tools dropdown menu at the top of the thread.