Consulting

Thread: Data validation using dynamic named range as input

Data validation using dynamic named range as input

Hi, All,

Sorry, but my brain refuses to work - again. To validate data one can:

1. Manually highlight the range to be validated, and fill the Data Validation prompts, or
    2. Create a table and then define a named range within the table and fill in the prompts.

However, when I was using Excel 2003 I seem to remember creating a dynamic named range (something similar to a table named range) and using that as the data to be validated.
    Unfortunately I cannot remember, or figure out despite lots of searching, how to use a dynamic named range as the input. Creating the range is fine, but using it, apparently, is beyond me. I know I could, and probably should, and probably will, use the table method, but this is really bugging me now. Please take pity on a stupid old man and remind me how to do it.

Many thanks.

Use CountA for text ranges, or Count for numeric ranges. "A200" must be larger than largest possible range

Named Range formula is
    =OFFSET($A$2,0,0,COUNTA($A$2:$A$200),1)
    Range Starts in A1.
    =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A),1)
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

In Excel 2003 you can convert the range to a list and treat that as if it were an Excel 2007/2010 table. No dynamic range names needed.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Thank you all for your replies, gentlemen.

SamT: Thanks for your help, but I am perhaps misunderstanding the info you supplied. I know that the formats you gave will define a range dynamically, but what I don't know is how to use that range as the data to be validated(equivalent to highlighting a range manually), rather than the data against which validation will be made.

Paul: I apologise if I didn't follow the forum rules. I am trying to validate a range of data.

Jan Karel: Thanks for the info. Looks just the job.

Best regards to all.

VBAX Sage

In 2010, I defined a workbook level dynamic range named 'DataValues'

=OFFSET(Sheet2!$A$1,0,0,COUNTA(Sheet2!$A:$A),COUNTA(Sheet2!$1:$1))

just like you and others

I used Data Validation to reference this range on some cells on Sheet1

Did I misunderstand the question?

Paul

PS. It's always a good idea to provide the Excel version you're using
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. Again I apologise for not saying which version of Excel I amusing. I seem to remember specifying this when I registered and I assumed that would be available to anyone needing to know. Never assume anything! I am using Excel 2010.
    I don't think you are misunderstanding the question, rather that I am not explaining it adequately. I will try to do so now. The dialog box you provide is a good place for me to begin. In this dialog box there is a "Source" field, against which data will be validated (if I've got that wrong then there's no hope for me). As you say I have defined a dynamic named range for this and that works fine. My question is how can I similarly define the range which is to be validated (rather than the range which does the validating)? In other words, if I want to validate the range A1:A50, for example, I could highlight that range and then go through the Data Validation dialog box, specifying the source, whatever that may be, against which A1:A50 is to be validated. What I am trying to do is rather than specify a static range such as A1:A50, whether named or not, is make that range dynamic. What I would call dynamic input. I hope that explains the requirement.

As i mentioned in my original post the Excel Table feature provides a solution, although, as I have just discovered, there may be other wrinkles introduced with it, e.g. sorting in VBA. However, that's just all part of the learning process and I look forward to it.

Thank you for your time and expertise. Best regards.

You cannot make a validation range dynamic and even if the range is converted to a table, the cells beneath the table will not have validation. After entering a value in one of the cells beneath the table you get a new row in your table, which now has the validation in place. But that is AFTER adding the row.
    Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
    Excel MVP jkp-ads.com

Thank you, Jan Karel. That answers my question perfectly. Best regards.