Consulting

Thread: For Each Loop - Strange Behaviour (logic breakdown)

VBAX Tutor
    For Each Loop - Strange Behaviour (logic breakdown)

For Each Loop - Strange BehaviourI have a list of names and use the FOR EACH Loop to check if a worksheet exists in the workbook with the same. It works perfectly up to the point where such a worksheet actually exists, it indicates that this worksheet does indeed exist. However, after this point it erroneously indicates the existence of worksheets with the remainder of the names in the list.For example I have a list with the following names: "Name1", "Name2", "Name3", "Name4", "Name5", "Name6", and "Name7". The workbook contains sheets with the names "Name4" and "Name7". The code is suppose to indicate whether sheets with names , "Name1", "Name2", "Name3", "Name4", "Name5", "Name6", and "Name7" exist in the workbook. It does exactly that untill it encounters the name "Name4" in the list. It correctly indicates that sheet "Name4" does indeed exist, but then continue indicating that the sheets "Name5" and "Name6" also exist, which in this case does not.I would appreciate an understanding of this behaviour and how the code should be changed to achieve the intended results.Note: Should the code end up in one line I would appreciate some assistance in correcting it, I have tried everything and every time it ends up in one long line (holding thumbs)!Regards,vanhunk
    Sub VerifyCurrentList()  
    'Verify that the proposed sheet name does not already exist in the workbook:'------------------------------------------------------------------------------    
    Dim strContractor As String    
    Dim wks As Worksheet    
    Dim bln As Boolean    
    Dim oRange As Range    
    Dim rCell As Range        
    'Define the search range:        
    Set ws = Worksheets("Start Sheet")         
    Set oRange = ws.Range(Range("ContractorsList").Offset(1, 0), Range("ContractorsList").Offset(30, 0).End(xlUp))            
    For Each rCell In oRange        
    strContractor = rCell.Value    
    'MsgBox strContractor       
    On Error Resume Next        
    Set wks = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(strContractor)        
    On Error Resume Next        
    If Not wks Is Nothing Then        
    bln = True    Else        
    bln = False        
    Err.Clear    
    End If    
    If bln = False Then        
    MsgBox strContractor & " is not current!"            
    Else        
    MsgBox strContractor & " is current!"            
    End If        
    Next rCell
    End Sub
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-25-2013 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Line breaked post

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Sub M_snb() 
        sn=sheets("Start Sheet").range("ContractorsList").Offset(1, 0).specialcells(2)

for j=1 to ubound(sn)
          msgbox sn(j,1)  & "does" & iif(evaluate("Isref(" & sn(j,1) & "!A1)"),""," not") & " exist"
        Next
    End Sub

VBAX Tutor
    Sub M_snb()      
    sn=sheets("Start Sheet").range("ContractorsList").Offset(1, 0).specialcells(2)      
    for j=1 to ubound(sn)       
    msgbox sn(j,1)  & "does" & iif(evaluate("Isref(" & sn(j,1) & "!A1)"),""," not") & " exist"     
    Next 
    End Sub
    Hi snb I get "Run time error 13: Type mismatch in the msgbox line. Thanks, vanhunk
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 11-25-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Line breaked post

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    I don't 'get it'.

You can check stepping through the code: F8

To do it the original way, you must set wks = Nothing after you have located it:
    [vba] If Not wks Is Nothing Then
    bln = True
    Set wks = Nothing
    Else

'...
    [/vba]
    Be as you wish to seem

VBAX Sage
    I don't think your two 'On Error Resume Next' statements are correct

Option Explicit ' <<<< added
    Sub VerifyCurrentList()
    Dim strContractor As String
    Dim wksStart As Worksheet, wksContractor As Worksheet ' <<<< added wksContractor
    Dim blnContractorSheetExists As Boolean
    Dim oRange As Range
    Dim rCell As Range

'Define the search range:
    Set wksStart = Worksheets("Start Sheet")

Set oRange = wksStart.Range(Range("ContractorsList").Offset(1, 0), Range("ContractorsList").Offset(30, 0).End(xlUp))

For Each rCell In oRange
    strContractor = rCell.Value

'MsgBox strContractor
    Set wksContractor = Nothing ' <<<< I'd use a On Error differently
    On Error Resume Next
    Set wksContractor = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(strContractor)
    On Error Goto 0

blnContractorSheetExists = Not (wksContractor Is Nothing)

If blnContractorSheetExists Then
    MsgBox strContractor & " is current!"
    Else
    MsgBox strContractor & " is not current!"
    End If
    Next rCell
    End Sub

Paul

VBAX Tutor
    @Aflatoon Thank you very much, it is what I was looking for. Why is it necessary to do that, I would have thought that
     Set wks = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(strContractor)
    would have taken care of it? By the way you don't by any change have a solution to me problem in terms of the one-liner? Thanks again, vanhunk

VBAX Tutor
    @Paul Thank you Paul the code is doing exactly what it is suppose to be doing now. What do you mean by "I'd use an On Error differently"? Do you refer to the change you made, i.e. changing the second "On Error Resume Next" to "On Error Goto 0", or did you have something else in mind? Thanks. Regards, vanhunk

VBAX Sage

I think the 2 Resume Next's were unneeded (probably didn't hurt), but the Goto 0 was in the wrong place

Mostly matter of style and personal opinion:

I think that the one statement that you really need to catch an error on is the second Set

1. I tend to be very wordy so I like to explicitly Set a condition I can test for (Set ... = Nothing) first

2. Tell Excel to ignore ALL errors (On Error Resume Next)

3. Execute the statement that could cause an error (Set wksContractor ...)

4. Tell Excel to stop ignoring errors (On Error Goto 0)

5. Then test to see if the condition in #1 is still there ( Is Nothing)

In general (i.e. most of the time) I bracket the potential error-generating statement: On Error Resume Next right before, and On Error Goto 0 right after.

You should never just let Excel go blindly along ignoring errors for longer than absolutely necessary

Set  wksContractor = Nothing ' <<<< I'd use a On Error differently
             On Error Resume Next
             Set wksContractor = ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(strContractor) 
             On Error Goto 0
            blnContractorSheetExists = Not (wksContractor Is Nothing)
    There are more sophisticated and powerful (and complicated) ways to handle errors, but for relatively simple things, I prefer to do it the way above. All the code that could cause an error and what to do if there is one, is in one place

Further un-asked for but volunteered anyway suggestion: You will save yourself a lot of head scratching if you used more descriptive variable names, i.e. blnContractorSheetExists and not just bln. The computer doesn't care, but since you'll have to read the macro later I think you're find it much easier to trace through the logic after 6 months

Paul
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 11-25-2013 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Stupid computer froze

VBAX Tutor
    @Paul Hossler Hi Paul, I like and appreciate your response, have a great day. Regards vanhunk