Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Strange behaviour ListBox.Selected(index).

VBAX Tutor
    Strange behaviour ListBox.Selected(index).

Hi,

In an userform I have a listbox. This listbox is loaded with filenames. In another userform I have another listbox loaded with the same (and more) filenames. if I double click on a filename in the first listbox, the corresponding filename in the second listbox should be selected (by code of course). The strange thing is that it does work sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. Maybe one of you guys experienced the same behaviour? In my case i found a workarround. Just before the item in de second listbox is beeing selected, i let a msgbox appear. After a click on OK of this msgbox the filename selection succeeds all the time? Can someone explain what's going on here?

Regards, stranno

Quote Originally Posted by stranno View Post
    Hi,

In an userform I have a listbox. This listbox is loaded with filenames. In another userform I have another listbox loaded with the same (and more) filenames. if I double click on a filename in the first listbox, the corresponding filename in the second listbox should be selected (by code of course). The strange thing is that it does work sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. Maybe one of you guys experienced the same behaviour? In my case i found a workarround. Just before the item in de second listbox is beeing selected, i let a msgbox appear. After a click on OK of this msgbox the filename selection succeeds all the time? Can someone explain what's going on here?

Regards, stranno
    Sounds like a little bug I fought with yesterday. Are you opening the second dialog on top of the first one?

Kevin

VBAX Tutor
    Quote Originally Posted by KevCarter View Post
    Sounds like a little bug I fought with yesterday. Are you opening the second dialog on top of the first one?

Kevin

VBAX Tutor
    The second userform is already loaded and visible (so is the second listbox). The first userform, which contains the first listbox, can be opened by clicking on a commandbutton on the second userform. Just before the item in the second listbox should be selected (by means of the code: userform2.listbox2.selected(i) or userform2.listbox2.listindex = i, the first userform is being unloaded.
    Last edited by stranno; 01-04-2014 at 03:19 AM. Reason: Type mismatch

The second userform is already loaded and visible (so is the second listbox). The first userform, which contains the first listbox, can be opened by clicking on a commandbutton on the second userform. Just before the item in the second listbox should be selected (by means of the code: userform2.listbox2.selected(i) or userform2.listbox2.listindex = i, the first userform is being unloaded.
    Sorry, my issue was different. I was opening a dialog with a listbox. It was opened via a button. Same code as I've used in other projects that never failed. In my other projects, the button was off to the side. In this project, the button was in the middle of the screen. The listbox in the dialog would pick up the mouse click from clicking the button, and the wrong item was almost always selected.. I moved the button off to the side and all is well. Strange behavior! Good luck solving your issue, I wish I could help.

Kevin

VBAX Tutor
    Thanks Kevin, Does anyone else have a clue?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Why not showing us what you are referring to by posting a sample workbook ?

VBAX Tutor
    Why not showing us what you are referring to by posting a sample workbook ?
    I could have done that, but the procedures loads files from a specified folder on my computer. The listboxes would remain empty on somebody else computer. But i will adapt the code somewhat. Right now a have to walk the dogs. See you later.

That doesn't make sense

UserForm2.CommandButton1.Click = UserForm1.Show
    UserForm2.ListBox1.Select = UserForm1.Unload
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Tutor
    Yes it does makes sense. Keep in mind that the userform and listbox numbers do not refer to a synchronical order. Userform1 could also have been Userform2. It are just names. I know it's a bit confus. But in my last sentence, the first userform refers to userform2. Hold on, i will upload an example.

VBAX Tutor
    Here is a workbook which demonstrates the unexpected listbox behaviour.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your code is selecting the same line in the second listbox as the first. I got it to work by changing:

UserForm2.ListBox1.ListIndex = i

to

UserForm2.ListBox1.Value = Value

Kevin

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar
    When you double-click in the unsorted list box, let us say the first entry "Fuller", do you want "Fuller" to be found and selected in the sorted listbox, or do you want the same position/index selected?

Mark

Yes it does makes sense. Keep in mind that the userform and listbox numbers do not refer to a synchronical order. Userform1 could also have been Userform2. It are just names
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Tutor
    I'am so sorry. Forget the previous workbook. I made a mistake because i was in a hurry. Hereby the right workbook. This one does demonstrate what i meant.
    Note: if you activate the messagebox "MsgBox "Index: " & i & " = " & UserForm2.ListBox1.List(i)" it goes right. What is the problem here?
    regards, Stranno

VBAX Tutor
    And SamT, My comment wasn't meant cynical. Sorry if you experienced it that way.
    regards, Stranno

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar
    Yes it does makes sense. Keep in mind that the userform and listbox numbers do not refer to a synchronical order. Userform1 could also have been Userform2. It are just names. I know it's a bit confus (sic - confusing). But in my last sentence, the first userform refers to userform2. Hold on, i will upload an example.
    Dear Stranno,

I do not oft gamble, but I'd put a nice sum on this: Most of us would have read it (I did) just the way Sam did. I would suggest that it is not a bit confusing. It is very confusing and counter-intuitive. While I am sure it was unintentional on your part, could I ask you to consider these things? In short - maybe take a moment of effort on your part, in order to help those willing to donate their time to you; or, at least, not to write the code (including naming) in a manner confusing to the vast majority. Does that make sense?

Now, I didn't really spot any big differences between the two workbooks posted, but I admit that I only glanced at the one attached to #15. Here is the workbook from #11, and what I am guessing at, as you did not answer my question at #13.

In UserForm2 (the 'parent' or FIRST form):

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function FindWindow Lib "user32" _
                      Alias "FindWindowA" (ByVal lpClassName As String, _
                                           ByVal lpWindowName As String) As Long

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

With UserForm1 '<---SECOND form
        '// Make the SECOND form show up where it's not on top of the first.        //
        .StartUpPosition = 0
        .Left = Me.Left + Me.Width
        .Top = Me.Top + ((Me.Height - .Height) / 2)
        '// Note: This form's caption needs to be unique, as the classname is not.  //
        .hWndForm1 = FindWindow("ThunderDFrame", Me.Caption)
        .Show vbModeless
      End With

End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    Dim rngLastCell As Range

'// Find the last cell with data...                                           //
      Set rngLastCell = RangeFound(Blad1.Range("B:B"))

'// ...and IF we find any cells with data in the appropriate column, set the  //
      '// range based on that.
      If Not rngLastCell Is Nothing Then
        Me.ListBox1.List = Blad1.Range(Blad1.Range("B1"), rngLastCell).Value
      End If

End Sub

Private Sub UserForm_QueryClose(Cancel As Integer, CloseMode As Integer)

'// Maybe add?  Get rid of the SECOND form if the first form (USERFORM2) is   //
      '// dismissed first.                                                          //
      On Error Resume Next
      Unload UserForm1
      On Error GoTo 0

End Sub
    In UserForm1 (the 'child' or SECOND form):
    Option Explicit

Private Declare Function SetFocusAPI Lib "user32" _
                      Alias "SetFocus" (ByVal hWnd As Long _
                      ) As Long

Private Userform1Hwnd As Long

Public Property Let hWndForm1(h As Long)
      Userform1Hwnd = h
    End Property
      Public Property Get hWndForm1() As Long
        hWndForm1 = Userform1Hwnd
      End Property

Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()
    Dim rngLastCell As Range

Set rngLastCell = RangeFound(Blad1.Range("A:A"))

If Not rngLastCell Is Nothing Then
        Me.ListBox1.List = Blad1.Range(Blad1.Range("A1"), rngLastCell).Value
      End If

End Sub

Sub ListBox1_DblClick(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean) 'open het geselecteerde project
    Dim Index As Long
    Dim Ret As Long
    Dim tmp

tmp = UserForm2.ListBox1.List

On Error Resume Next
      Index = -1
      '// MATCH is 1-based, so we minus 1 for ListIndex, which is 0-based.  Due to    //
      '// On Error Resume Next, Index will remain -1 if no match occurs.              //
      Index = Application.Match(Me.ListBox1.Value, tmp, 0) - 1
      On Error GoTo 0

If Index > -1 Then
        UserForm2.ListBox1.ListIndex = Index
        Ret = SetFocusAPI(hWndForm1)
        DoEvents
        UserForm2.ListBox1.SetFocus
      End If
    End Sub
    In a Standard Module:
    Option Explicit

Function RangeFound(SearchRange As Range, _
                        Optional ByVal FindWhat As String = "*", _
                        Optional StartingAfter As Range, _
                        Optional LookAtTextOrFormula As XlFindLookIn = xlValues, _
                        Optional LookAtWholeOrPart As XlLookAt = xlPart, _
                        Optional SearchRowCol As XlSearchOrder = xlByRows, _
                        Optional SearchUpDn As XlSearchDirection = xlPrevious, _
                        Optional bMatchCase As Boolean = False) As Range

If StartingAfter Is Nothing Then
            Set StartingAfter = SearchRange(1)
        End If

Set RangeFound = SearchRange.Find(What:=FindWhat, _
                                          After:=StartingAfter, _
                                          LookIn:=LookAtTextOrFormula, _
                                          LookAt:=LookAtWholeOrPart, _
                                          SearchOrder:=SearchRowCol, _
                                          SearchDirection:=SearchUpDn, _
                                          MatchCase:=bMatchCase)
    End Function
    General Notes:
    I made the API calls private, as the example is small. I normally would place all the API Functions and any call backs in one Standard Module.

IMO, you should be using Option Explicit at all times. You are declaring your variables (good IMO), why not use Option Explicit as a "Spell Check" if nothing else?

If there is any way for the second form to be showing on its own (there is, just close the first form with the second still displayed), then I would think (not tested, eyes already bleary...) you need to handle the double-click event.

Hope that helps,

Mark

VBAX Contributor
    Try also another way of finding the selected item (but it's without changing of userform's focus)

VBAX Tutor

After i had read your comment, i knew that the code in the workbook i had posted was wrong because i wasn't interested in "the same position/index selected", but in the value i.e "Fuller". So your comment was very helpful to me. (I admit that i even confused myself with my inimitable story. Sorry again for that).

But with regard to the second workbook? you said that you didn't spot any big differences between the two books. But IMO the difference is decisive. And i still have no answer on this question. Why does the code do what it's "supposed to do" if the msgbox code is active and fails it if the msgbox code is disabled?

And don't worry, i always use Option Explicit. But as I said, i was in a hurry.

Thanks for the code you've came up with. I' am going to look at it now. I'll let you know if it's useful in my case (although i don't really doubt about that). The reason why i prefer not to use API calls is that most of my (unpretending) VBA-programmes should run in different enviroments (32 bit and 64 bit computers, and Office 2003 - 2013). I know there are rubust solutions for this problem but nevertheless, in case of relative small programs i prefer to avoid API calls.

But having said this i'm affraid that my above stated original question is still not answered. (Don't hope this makes you angry with me again ;-))

regards, Stranno

VBAX Tutor

Thanks for your solution. But in my "real" programm the listboxes are populated with files (no columns on sheets), which are read from a folder. So i can't refer to specific cells. Also the arrays i used to load the listboxes are erased already at this moment.

regards, Stranno