Consulting

Thread: Where to focus my attention??

Where to focus my attention??

How do,

I've been telling myself to post this thread for too long!.

After DRJ recommended the; Microsoft Virtual Academy (http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/?mtag=MVP4039979), I can't really hold it off any longer.

I have a habit of waffling on.., so I'll keep this brief

1. There isn't a single area of IT, that I don't find fascinating
    2. This means, I find it incredibly difficult to work out, exactly, what I want to be "When I grow up" .. I'm 33!!
    3. Excel has been my best friend for around 3 years now, as its helped my get "My name" around at work, so I've completed various projects, I wouldn't have been considered for otherwise
    4. Excel is, in itself, part of the problem.
    5. Excel, in all its awesomeness, has its limitations and most of all, I know very people that are't scared of it. So, no matter how many hours/days, I spend on a project, It quickly fizzles out, due to the users' trepidation around using Excel.
    6. I'm reasonably confident, that I'd be well suited to software development (PLEASE feel free to correct me!!), as I have mostly enjoyed learning VBA, while using excel and creating userform based applications.
    7. All the different language options, regarding anything other than using excel, scare me, and to be honest, I just don't have a clue where to start.
    8. Which language is the best to start with?
    9. I'm terrible at reading books!!.

I'm sure that the MVA will help a lot, but still, I would love some guidance, on the first steps

Which language is the best to start with?

Depends on which Programming Domain you are most interested in.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Thank you, SamT,

Out of that list, I'm thinking General purpose Applications.

At the risk of sounding lazy.. Is there a This is what you need and this is where you should start?. It just feels like there are too many choice's, even on that Wiki page

I took the time to review the code in several of your uploads and, honestly, I think you will greatly benefit from any organized course of instruction in any language.

TIOBE Software: Tiobe Index

I think you should take a good look at Visual Basic.

You should consider your goal as a ten year long project.

Thank you SamT,

Your 2 Cents, is worth much more!

I think Visual Basic, will surely be a good place dig into.

Thank you for your diplomacy.. by the way, I approeciate, that my VBA, probably looks like a car wreck to you.

VBAX Sage
    VBAX Regular
    Could start with a bit of focus on commas! Jeez

VBAX Newbie
    I'm quite new to all this too..Launching into Visual Basic and it's becoming a good hobby although I wish I could dedicate more time to it. Is your knowledge to date all self taught?

Hi James88. Sorry for the late response. I wouldn't say self taught, as I've had a loads of amazing assistance from the guys on here and obviously I rely on Google and Youtube. I've actually not done anything for around 6 months, due to my little boy being born and taking up all my time. I'm working on/reviving an old project as we speak and upto now, I've not needed to post any questions on here, so I'm doing ok.

Ha Ha DirtyChinch, I have no excuses for my bad grammar

VBAX Regular

At it's most basic definition, VBA is a scripting language for Object Model type Applications. The most important step to becoming a good VBA programmer is to understand the Object Model of the application (Excel's is simplest, IMO,) and the Object Model of VBA.

IF your Version of Office doesn't have a built-in help file, I can upload some old standalone MS Office help files, to that you can easily navigate them. Online navigation is slow and cumbersome.

The first major thing that I did when learning VBA (for Excel) was to transfer every bit of data in the Help files to an Object Model in an Excel Workbook. That was with Excel 97 in 2002 and I still refer to that Workbook today.

I have attached an xlsm copy of that Workbook.
    Attached Files Attached Files