Consulting

Thread: select and replace cell

VBAX Newbie
    select and replace cell

Aloha!

I am new to VBA and trying to learn some code by setting up a personal budget. I have been copying data as exported from my bank and slowly setting up an excel document that filters the data based on various criteria. the problem i am running into is the file from my bank include a lot of extra information that i don't need i have included a sample line below

POS PURCHASE ABC STORES 123456789012345 ABC STORES Honolulu HI R111222333444555US

What I would like to do is search within the column (column C) for specific criteria (eg. ABC STORES) and then clear the cell and replace it with a given string (eg. PURCHASE - ABC STORES). I am trying to figure out a way to do this with VBA for certain purchases I make often to save time when importing data. I have been trying to search for a similar case but I haven't found anything that seems to work. Can anyone point me in the direction of where to start for something like this, or what functions i should be using? I am in excel 2010

Thanks!

Would this work for you?

Set up your xls so that your list of information starts in column A1 for instance. Then your return possibilities say in column M.

=IF(COUNT(SEARCH(" "&M1&" "," "&A1&" "))>0=TRUE,M1,"")

Welcome to VBA world also, hope you can learn a lot here.
    To your first question, try this one:

[VBA]Sub Budget()

Dim Register As Range
    Dim New_Value As String
    Set Cells_Range = Plan1.Range(Cells(1, 3), Cells(Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp).Row, 3))

For Each Register In Cells_Range
    If Register.Value Like "*ABC STORES*" Then
    New_Value = Replace(Register, "ABC STORES", "PURCHASE - ABC STORES")
    Register.Value = New_Value
    End If
    Next Register

End Sub[/VBA]
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance". Socrates

VBAX Newbie

That worked perfectly, and I actually understand most of it lol. I did remove the replace function as I was trying to replace the entire line not just "ABC STORES" so here is what i ended up with in the end.

Sub Budget()

Dim Register As Range
    Dim New_Value As String
    Set Cells_Range = Sheets("export-1").Range(Cells(1, 3), Cells(Cells(Rows.Count, 3).End(xlUp).Row, 3))

For Each Register In Cells_Range
    If Register.Value Like "*ABC STORES*" Then
    New_Value = "PURCHASE - ABC STORES"
    Register.Value = New_Value
    End If
    Next Register

End Sub

Thanks again!