Consulting

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Worksheet_change event executed on a wrong sheet?

VBAX Tutor
    Worksheet_change event executed on a wrong sheet?

Hi everyone,

Is it thinkable that a worksheet_change event is executed on another sheet? the case is that a particular messagebox sometimes appears on sheet B while the worksheet_change code, that fires this messagebox, is on the sheet A. Untill now i couldn't reproduce this event myself, but one of the users of my programme claims that it happens sometimes.

I think the circumstances under which this happens are as follows. The worksheet_change event will be executed if a particular cell is empty. Normaly this cell should contain a j or a n. While this particular cell is active (and not empty) a user can activate another sheet by pushing the sheet tab. On this sheet the messagebox appears that was fired by the worksheet_change event on the previous sheet. The strange thing is that the code shouldn't be executed at all, because the cell wasn't empty. Is it possible that the fact the cell was active (selected) before changing sheets causes this problem? What can i do to prevent this?

Best regards,
    Stranno

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
    Show us the code, otherwise it is just existential musings.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    To answer your question specifically, no, there would need to be some other factor. If some code ran when you deactivated the sheet in question, or activated another sheet, both of which can have their own events, either specifically or at the workbook (class) level. So as xld put it, any futher would be musings.

VBAX Tutor

Option Explicit
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    Dim ant As String

Application.EnableEvents = False
    On Error Resume Next
        If Not Application.Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then
               'Target.Value = "j" by Default
            If Target.Value <> "j" And Target.Value <> "n" Then
               Target = ""
               Target.Select
            End If

Select Case Target.Value

Case "n"
                      Target.Offset(0, -4) = -1 * Abs(Val(Target.Offset(0, -4).Value))
                      Target.Offset(0, -6) = -1 * Abs(Val(Target.Offset(0, -6).Value))
                      Target.Offset(0, -6).NumberFormat = "0;[Red]0"

Case "j"
                      Target.Offset(0, -4) = Abs(Val(Target.Offset(0, -4).Value))
                      Target.Offset(0, -6) = Abs(Val(Target.Offset(0, -6).Value))
                      Target.Offset(0, -6).NumberFormat = "0;[Red]0"

Case ""
                again:
    ant = InputBox("j of n", "Kies j of n")
                      If Len(ant) = 0 Then GoTo again
                      If ant <> "j" And ant <> "n" Then GoTo again
                      Target = ant
                      If ant = "n" Then Target.Offset(0, -4) = -1 * Abs(Val(Target.Offset(0, -4).Value))
                      If ant = "j" Then Target.Offset(0, -4) = Abs(Val(Target.Offset(0, -4).Value))

Case Else
                       GoTo proceed
            End Select
        End If

proceed:
    If Err.Number <> 0 Then
        Call ErrorDescription("pfd", "Worksheet_Change") 'calls the function ErrorDescription
        Err.Clear
    End If
    Application.EnableEvents = True
    On Error GoTo 0
    End Sub
    The code is in Sheet("Pfd")
    But i think there is nothing wrong with the code.

The worksheet in which the inputbox (sorry it was an inputbox, not a messagebox) shows up
    contains no code.
    Last edited by Bob Phillips; 02-09-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added VBA tags

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    En nu nog even die code tags Stranno (Na 89 berichten !!!)

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    At first glance, try removing ActiveSheet. from
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then
    to leave:
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

If it is Activesheet that might cause the problem, you need to use

If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Me.Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then
    without a sheet qualifier it will refer to the Activesheet.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

I thought that all unqualified ranges in a sheet's code module referred to that same sheet rather than the active sheet? I will have to test this later when I get in front of a pc..

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Nope. All unqualified Range references will always reference the active sheet. And likewise all unqualified worksheet references will always reference the active workbook.

Edit: The key is to declare it always. If it's supposed to be the sheet the code is being called from, using "Me" as Bob suggests would help. But worksheet event code can be fired anywhere, regardless of what sheet is active or not, so specifying the worksheet should always be done.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    I think some UDF might be running.

When the eventcode
    has been triggered,
    the worksheet is always the activesheet.

I don't think it would make any difference using:

If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Columns(12)) Is Nothing Then
    or
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, activesheet.Columns(12)) Is Nothing Then
    or
    If Not Application.Intersect(Target, target.parent.Columns(12)) Is Nothing Then

VBAX Tutor
    Ok I will try "If Not Application.Intersect(Target, Me.Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then" instead of "If Not Application.Intersect(Target, ActiveSheet.Columns("L:L")) Is Nothing Then", since this code is in a worksheet code module, what's exactly the difference between ActiveSheet, Me or even no additive like p45 cal proposed?

VBAX Tutor

VBAX Tutor
    apparently not Snb. What else can cause this problem?

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by stranno View Post
    Oke, Here is the code:
    But i think there is nothing wrong with the code.
    Other than the fact it doesn't work?

In addition to the other responses, esp. Zacks,

[vba]
    Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    [/vba]

1. Target is the range that was changed, and might be many cells. If you want to be sure that you're only working on a cell use Target.Cells.Count. Something like Target.Value = "j" will make all the cells that changed = "j"

2. Target.Parent will return the WS object of Target range.

3. You have a On Error Resume Next that might be bypassing an error. If you remove it, do you get an indications of an error?

Paul

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    You can certainly fire code from another sheet and never be on that sheet (as the active sheet). As an example, in a standard module have something like this...

[vba]Sub footest()
    Sheet2.Activate
    Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = 1
    End Sub[/vba]

And in Sheet1 code module have the following event code...
    [vba]Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    'MsgBox "Change on '" & Me.Name & "' in " & Target.Address(0, 0)
    ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Value = 2
    End Sub[/vba]

Now run footest(). Sheet2 stays the active sheet, but Sheet1 code references the activesheet and will thus change Sheet2 cell A1 value. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Barresse View Post
    Nope. All unqualified Range references will always reference the active sheet. And likewise all unqualified worksheet references will always reference the active workbook.

Edit: The key is to declare it always. If it's supposed to be the sheet the code is being called from, using "Me" as Bob suggests would help. But worksheet event code can be fired anywhere, regardless of what sheet is active or not, so specifying the worksheet should always be done.
    Zack, xld,
    I'm not sure whether we're talking at cross-purposes, as I think I've tested this with the attached file.
    There are two sheets, on sheet1 I've placed a button (so that we're certain that sheet1 is the active sheet when it's clicked) which when clicked runs the following code which changes a cell on Sheet2:
    Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B2") = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("B2") & "q"
    End Sub
    This will trigger the event code in Sheet2's code module:
    Debug.Print Columns("L:L").Parent.Name
    'or:MsgBox Columns("L:L").Parent.Name
    End Sub
    where I've used an unqualified Columns("L:L"), so you would expect that to refer to the active sheet Sheet1, here in Excel 2010 I get the result Sheet2.. or have I fouled up badly?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by p45cal; 02-09-2014 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot to attach file

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Hmm, well I stand very much corrected! Perhaps it's in lieu of being called from a class module it assumes the class is the default reference. When called from a standard module the behavior is as expected, a non-referenced sheet is always the activesheet. For example..

[vba]Sub foo()
    Sheet1.Activate
    Range("A1").Value = 1
    Sheet2.Activate
    Range("A1").Value = 2
    End Sub[/vba]

VBAX Tutor
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Other than the fact it doesn't work?

In addition to the other responses, esp. Zacks,

[vba]
    Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    [/vba]

1. Target is the range that was changed, and might be many cells. If you want to be sure that you're only working on a cell use Target.Cells.Count. Something like Target.Value = "j" will make all the cells that changed = "j"

2. Target.Parent will return the WS object of Target range.

3. You have a On Error Resume Next that might be bypassing an error. If you remove it, do you get an indications of an error?

Paul
    Apparently it does work for 99.99%. But in some occasions (and i don't know when) it doesn't.

1. I am not sure if I know what you mean with using "Target.Cells.Count" What is the purpose of delimiting de range? I mean the target can be any cell in Column L. Or do you mean that I should add something like
    "If Target.Cells.Count>0 then exit" sub?

2. Maybe a good idea. But what is exactly the difference between Target.Parent and "Target, Me.Collumns("L:L")" in this case?
    3. Also a good idea, but again it's very hard to verify the effect because so far I could not reproduce this issue myself.

But Summarized, what is the best solution?

Use of: "Me.Parent, Columns("L:L")" or "Target, Me.Columns("L:L")" or is there yet another solution?

In the meantime I will check all the hints that came by in this thread.
    Thanks everybody. Although I think the VBA experts on this forum seems to have different opinions on this issue.

Best regards,
    Stranno

But worksheet event code can be fired anywhere, regardless of what sheet is active or not, so specifying the worksheet should always be done.
    Yeah, but people don't do that, do they (you?), Zack?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru GTO's Avatar
    Hmm, well I stand very much corrected! Perhaps it's in lieu of being called from a class module it assumes the class is the default reference. When called from a standard module the behavior is as expected, a non-referenced sheet is always the activesheet. For example..
    Hi FireFighter (I cannot recall where the 'y' is, sorry.),

Your above comment made me think (painful, but survivable).

Rather than thinking in terms of the object module being the exception, might it be better to think (regardless of usage rate) of using the unqualified Range in a Standard Module as the oddity? My thinking (such as it may be), is that the Standard Module doesn't possess/own anything, whereas the sheet's object module of course does.

Mark