Consulting

Thread: Auto list of abbreviations used in a PPT file

Auto list of abbreviations used in a PPT file

I need some automation help and should have posted here long ago:

What I'm looking for is a macro that will find all the abbreviations (abbreviation, acronym, initialism) used in a PPT file, and create a list of those abbreviations and the slide numbers where they occur.

For smaller PPT files, it's simple enough to do that with my own eyeballs. But with larger files (largest contain 300 slides or more), hunting down abbreviations is a nightmare.

In Word, of course, finding abbreviations is painless using the 'wildcards' feature of Find/Replace. But, of course, that feature isn't available in PowerPoint.

So I've Googled... and I can't seem to find anything. I've been all over the PPTFAQ site: nothing. Does anyone have any advice or insight?

VBAX Master
    Abbreviation could cover several things. What would a wildcard search for abbreviations look like in Word?

Maybe the page here "Regular Expressions in PowerPoint" will do most of it though.
    Last edited by John Wilson; 02-15-2014 at 06:32 AM.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP
    Amazing Free PowerPoint Tutorials
    http://www.pptalchemy.co.uk/powerpoi...tutorials.html

VBAX Sage
    Also, where might the abbreviations be located and what version of PP?

PP can have some very complex structures and "FBI" could be in a placeholder or in a shape or a textbox or wordart, etc.

How do you define the text you're looking for: I'd guess things like "NC" and "FBI" and "FUBAR" but not things like "John Smith". What about something like "PP2010" or "2014FEB"?

Paul

VBAX Master

The RegEx code on the link I posted will find strings of UPPER CASE with or without periods. So it would find all of the above in Tables, Placeholders, Text Boxes and Shapes. Easy to modify for a coder like you!
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP

VBAX Sage

It does loop through the various types of text containers already (my question) so some one was thinking ahead

Paul

PS - I'm still struggling with the complexities of the various flavors of RegEx. One thing I've learned (the hard way) is to save a backup copy often. More than once, a F&R got away from me and wiped out the entire document

VBAX Master
    Always better to stick to Find & List IMHO! At least until you are sure it works OK.
    John Wilson
    Microsoft PowerPoint MVP