Consulting

Thread: VBA and NumberFormat

VBA and NumberFormat

Hi everyone,
    Hoping someone might be able to help me with this one. I want to set a custom format for some cells and used the macro recorder to work out what the custom format should look like (so I assume it should be correct formatting) however when I use the numberformatting in my code it causes an error. I am unclear exactly what the .locked and .formulahidden do so added bonus if anyone understands these (I just copied them from the recorder). I should add the numberformat below works correctly if I use it to set a custom format in Excel (without VBA)

This is the problematic code:
    For j = 1 To 2
    Worksheets(WSName(j)).Activate

With Application.FindFormat
        .Clear
        .NumberFormat = ReplaceFormatCell.NumberFormat
        .Locked = True
        .FormulaHidden = False
    End With
    With Application.ReplaceFormat
          .Clear
          .NumberFormat = "_(£* #,##0.00_);_(£* (#,##0.00);_(£* ""-""_);_(@_)"
         .Locked = True
         .FormulaHidden = False
    End With

Cells.Replace "", "", xlPart, xlByRows, False, , True, True
    To be clear it is the .Numberformat = "..." that causes the error. Any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
            .NumberFormat = "_(£* #,##0.00_);_(£* (#,##0.00);_(£* """"-""""_);_(@_)"

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by xld View Post
            .NumberFormat = "_(£* #,##0.00_);_(£* (#,##0.00);_(£* """"-""""_);_(@_)"
    Hi xld,

Thanks for the suggestion. I still get an error, the numberformat won't assign. I've tried using chr(34) without success..any ideas why this might be the case? I'm using Excel 2007 but it's in compatibility mode.

I don't think the zero part of the numberformat is causing the issue; if I remove the zero and text parts (which would still suit me actually if that worked) I get an error.
    Last edited by silentsound; 02-18-2014 at 07:48 AM.