Consulting

Thread: How to Remove or Cancel Automatic Page Numbering?

How to Remove or Cancel Automatic Page Numbering?

I inserted Page numbers, but now I don't want them.

I need the page numbers to start on the fourth page with # 1. There's only a few pages so I can add them by hand.

Word 2002
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Sage
    Haven't used 2002 for a long time, but as I recall ...

If you use Insert PageNumber, it inserts a {Page} field in a Frame. Delete the frame in the Header or Footer 'should' get rid of them. I always manually insert the {Page} fields in my header or footer since I don't like frames for page numbers

If you go to InsertPageNumber, you can select Format PageNumber, and that allows you to set a starting number, or continue

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 02-23-2014 at 12:14 PM. Reason: Forgot the picture

That screenshot still starts the numbers at the first page, but you can not show the first page number and start counting at zero. that makes the number effectively start on the second page.

Thanks toyou, I figgered it out.

Get the Header and Footers toolbar to open.
    Switch to Footers.
    Select any page number and press Delete.

All gone

Same for headers.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    That screenshot still starts the numbers at the first page, but you can not show the first page number and start counting at zero. that makes the number effectively start on the second page.
    H/F are by Section. So maybe if you insert a section break before the part where you want Page Num = 1 and then start that section (Section 2) at page = 1.

The previous section (i.e. Section 1) is where you would most likely want to delete the numbers

Paul

VBAX Wizard
    If you use Insert PageNumber, it inserts a {Page} field in a Frame. Delete the frame in the Header or Footer 'should' get rid of them. I always manually insert the {Page} fields in my header or footer since I don't like frames for page numbers
    Page numbers do not go into a frame. They are just fields.

Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    That depends on the Word version and how they're inserted; Word 2003, for example, does insert the fields into frames when you use Insert|Page Number.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by fumei View Post
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...005230577.aspx

Even in 2003, {Page} fields manually entered were IMHO the better way to go, but for people that liked to use menus, the page number was in a frame.

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul_Hossler; 02-24-2014 at 01:54 PM.

VBAX Wizard
    Bleeech!!! Yuck. Really? What on earth for????? Why the heck would they put it in a frame? Bleeeech! Sorry. I did not know that. 2002 does not. Insert Page Number just inserts a field. Bleeech. My apologies.

You're not still using Word 2002 are you? If so, you should consider doing something radical and upgrading to Office 2003 - before MS drops support for it...
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

This year, I am kludging it, next year I want to do it different.

My Excel columns are: ParcelNumber, DeedHolder, Addressee, Address, City, St, and Zip. ParcelNumber is Unique, Deedholders can refer to many ParcelNumbers, and Addressees can refer to many DeedHolders. From 450+ PNs down to 220 Addressees.

Next year I want to include in the Body a list of Deedholders and the count of their ParcelNumbers for each unique Addressee.
    Our records show that you control
    {Parcel_Count} properties for {Deedholder} and
    {Parcel_Count} properties for {Deedholder}
    This gives you {TotalParcelCount} Votes to Cast in the upcoming Elections.
    Can we do that? Next year.

Bhuwhaaa ha ha ha

Maybe i better git back to Excel while I still have some hide left on my back side.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Did I mention that I have one year to get all this ready so that someone who's entire computer experience is Email and Solitaire can do it?

I would love a mailmerge that could handle most of it.

But, I have had more training and experience with Word since I started this thread than in my whole life.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Wizard
    Yes, I am still using 2002. While I would agree that 2003 is "better", for the things I do now (much less than before I retired), and I am quite familiar with it (I used it at work), I have no serious need for it. I do not really gain anything significant.

I'll get back to this in a few months. Right now, I'm off to finish setting up the CoA for the accounting system.

VBAX Sage
    SamT -- what I've done with something like this was to have Excel create a Word Object and then use that to create a new document from a template. The template had bookmarks and Excel just filled in the bookmarks, and then saved the docx.

Excel could do the heavy lifting and construct a string with the "Our records show that you control {Parcel_Count} properties for {Deedholder} and {Parcel_Count} properties for {Deedholder} This gives you {TotalParcelCount} Votes to Cast in the upcoming Elections." text as well as handle the addressing

Paul

I think that is what I will be doing, because the highest criteria is KISS for non computer users. A friend of mind will be donating a digital office setup as the FD doesn't have any. In January, we spent ~16 man hours hand addressing notices.

For the mailing going out next month, I just manually added a {Property_Count} Column to the simplified Address List in Excel.

I am looking at using a invoice form in the final Word Template so I can list each Parcel, Parcel_Address, Deedholder, Amt Due, etc on each notice. I am changing our billing method from one dues per Addressee to one dues per Parcel, so this would reinforce that change.

If Excel handles the Addressing, can the MailMerge Doc still be saved as a single file. Staples, the printing service, needs it that way. If not, my friend is giving us a commercial printer, but that means hand separating and stapling.

Another alternative I am thinking of is the use of Sections, (thank you,) and {Include "C:/Dir/Includes/Dues/Invoices/" & {Addressee} & ".doc"}, then having Excel create all the invoices as .doc files named after the Addressee.

That way, I can have all the Dues notices go out in Jan with the Annual Financial Report and all the Dues Receipts go out in May with the Summaries of Annual Meeting.

While keeping KISS For Dummies, I still have to allow for customizing each MailMerge annually. The use of various templates and Includes, will give me that ability.

Quote Originally Posted by SamT View Post
    If Excel handles the Addressing, can the MailMerge Doc still be saved as a single file. Staples, the printing service, needs it that way.
    When you Finish a mailmerge, Word gives three options, one of which is 'Edit individual documents'. That generates a single file with all the records. You could save that and take it to your printer.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]