Consulting

Thread: Help me improve some old code

Help me improve some old code

In one of my modules I had this short function:

Function makeList(startCell As Range) As Range
      Dim helper As Range, i As Integer

With startCell
        Set helper = Range(.Offset(0, 0), .End(xlDown))
        Do While ((helper.Item(helper.Count + i).Value = 0) And (helper.Count + i > 0))
          i = i - 1
        Loop
        Set helper = Nothing
        Set makeList = Range(.Offset(0, 0), .End(xlDown).Offset(i, 0))
      End With
    End Function
    As far as I can recall (and glean from the code) it is supposed to take a single cell as input and return the all the cells with values below it in the column. The loop in the middle is to prevent it from including the entire column if there are no cells with value below the input-cell. However, I suspect that looping through the entire column is somewhat inefficient, so I wondered if any of you people had some suggestions on how I can improve the function?

Distinguished Lord of VBAX VBAX Grand Master Bob Phillips's Avatar
        Set makeList = Range(startCell, startCell.End(xlDown))
    End Function

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Won't that give me the entire column if startcell is the bottommost entry?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    You can test the code to answer your question.

Set makeList = Range(startCell, cells(rows.count,startCell.column).End(xlup)) 
    End Function

Quote Originally Posted by EirikDaude View Post
    Won't that give me the entire column if startcell is the bottommost entry?
    Might well do, but as you don't know what the code is supposed to do, it is hard for us to guess it.

Abusus non tollit usum

Last night I dreamed of a small consolation enjoyed only by the blind: Nobody knows the trouble I've not seen!
    James Thurber

Quote Originally Posted by snb View Post
    You can test the code to answer your question.
    And he could have read the OP:
    The loop in the middle is to prevent it from including the entire column if there are no cells with value below the input-cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by snb View Post
        Set makeList = Range(startCell, cells(rows.count,startCell.column).End(xlup)) 
    End Function
    This is how I would usually do it, but since the cell could happen to be empty, and I don't want to include possible cells above the input either, I managed to do it was this finagling in the end:

Set makeList = Range(startCell, Cells(Rows.Count, startCell.Column).End(xlUp))

If makeList.Row < startCell.Row Then
          Set makeList = startCell
        End If

End Function
    I guess I should have specified that more explicitly in the OP, instead of just implying it

But thanks a lot for both of your inputs. And sorry for wasting your time :P I guess I should have spent a bit more time googling and trying before posting here.

Set helper = Range(.Offset(0, 0), .End(xlDown)) 
            Do While ((helper.Item(helper.Count + i).Value = 0) And (helper.Count + i > 0)) 
                i = i - 1 
            Loop 
            Set helper = Nothing
    The loop will only be entered if the bottom cell of the list is a formula that returns zero
    helper.Item(helper.Count - 0.)Value = 0
    OR the the cell below startCell is empty, thereby setting helper and makeList to the range from startCell to the bottom of the sheet.

Without the second While clause, if the loop was ever entered (quite possible) it would throw a Subscript Out Of Range error as soon as Abs(i) > Helper.Count.

I think it is a signature.
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

Hmm. That is kinda interersting. I thought what it would do was to start iterating over the column from the bottom upwards, if the cell below the startercell is empty, and then exit the loop if it reaches the startercell? Or am I misunderstanding you? I certainly can't see what the second while loop is, at least

As far as I can tell it hasn't caused any errors in the sheet, but I am replacing it with the function I posted in my previous post, as that is far less convoluted and I am also more confident that it will do what is intended.

Thanks for your reply!

As far as I can tell it hasn't caused any errors in the sheet, but I am replacing it with the function I posted in my previous post, as that is far less convoluted and I am also more confident that it will do what is intended.
    How does that test in your code ever get to be true? If you work upwards from the bottom of the column that startcell is in, you can never arrive at a row less than startcell's row can you?

Abusus non tollit usum

James Thurber

Startcell doesn't necessarily have to be at the top of the column. And if startcell is empty, range.end(xlup) will choose either the first cell with a value above it, or the topmost cell of the column.

- edit - I created a sample workbook: New Microsoft Excel Worksheet.xlsm

It seems that either I misunderstood how the original function is supposed to work, or there is something funky going on inside that while-loop =/
    Last edited by EirikDaude; 04-01-2014 at 08:14 AM.

I certainly can't see what the second while loop is, at least
    Sorry, not enough coffee. Brain still in "granny low" gear.

"Without the second While Condition, (And (helper.Count + i > 0,) if the loop was ever entered (quite possible) it would throw a Subscript Out Of Range error as soon as Abs(i) > Helper.Count."

You could use
         'At this point makeList = Nothing     
        If Not startCell = "" Then Set makeList = Range(startCell, Cells(Rows.Count, startCell.Column).End(xlUp)) 
    End Function
    I would use
    'Covers all possibilities except startCell not being in the correct range or being a multi-celled range.
         'At this point in code, makeList = Nothing
        If startCell = "" Then Goto ErrHandler
        If startCell.Offset(0, 1) = "" Then 
           Set makeList = startCell
        Else
            Set makeList = Range(startCell, Cells(Rows.Count, startCell.Column).End(xlUp)) 
       End If
    Exit Function
    ErrHandler:
    MsgBox "Improper use of Function makeList in module XYZ"
    End Function
    I expect the student to do their homework and find all the errrors I leeve in.

Please take the time to read the Forum FAQ

VBAX Sage
    If there's empty cells within the top/bottom range, I'd guess that they were not to be included??

Option Explicit
    Sub test()
        With ActiveSheet
            .Range("C:C").ClearContents

.Range("C3:C20").Value = 1234
            .Range("C33:C45").Formula = "=12*12*12"
    '        .Range("C33:C45").Value = 5678
            .Range("C55:C70").Value = 9012
            MsgBox makeList(.Range("C1")).Address

End With
    End Sub

Function makeList(rStart As Range) As Range
        Dim rTop As Range, rBottom As Range, rData As Range, rConst As Range, rForm As Range
        Set makeList = Nothing

Set rTop = rStart.Cells(1, 1).End(xlDown)
        If IsEmpty(rTop) Then Exit Function

Set rBottom = rTop.Parent.Cells(rTop.Parent.Rows.Count, rTop.Column).End(xlUp)

If rTop.Address = rBottom.Address Then
            Set makeList = rTop
            Exit Function
        End If

On Error Resume Next
        Set rConst = Range(rTop, rBottom).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
        Set rForm = Range(rTop, rBottom).SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas)
        On Error GoTo 0

If Not rConst Is Nothing And Not rForm Is Nothing Then
            Set makeList = Union(rConst, rForm)
        ElseIf Not rConst Is Nothing And rForm Is Nothing Then
            Set makeList = rConst
        ElseIf rConst Is Nothing And Not rForm Is Nothing Then
            Set makeList = rForm
        Else
            Set makeList = Nothing
        End If
    End Function
    Paul

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    Function makeListS(startCell As Range) As String
        makeListS = startCell.Address
        If Cells(Rows.Count, startCell.Column).End(xlUp).Row > startCell.Row Then makeListS = Range(startCell, Cells(Rows.Count, startCell.Column).End(xlUp)).Address
    End Function

Thanks for all of your replies! It was interesting to see your different takes on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    If there's empty cells within the top/bottom range, I'd guess that they were not to be included??

Paul
    Well, ideally that would be the case, but (as I didn't tell you) the function is used to generate validation lists based on the name of the sheet, the actual generation of the lists look something like:
    With changedCell
        Set listStartsInCell = listStartsInCell.Find(sheetname, MatchCase:=False).Offset(2, 1)
        .Offset(0, 1).Validation.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, Operator:= _
            xlBetween, Formula1:=("=" + makeList(listStartsInCell.Offset(0, 1)).Address(external:=True))
        .Offset(0, 2).Validation.Add Type:=xlValidateList, AlertStyle:=xlValidAlertStop, Operator:= _
            xlBetween, Formula1:=("=" + makeList(listStartsInCell.Offset(0, 2)).Address(external:=True))
    End With
    I don't think that works with a union of cells, I guess I could add in some checking and editing of the possible lists, but as the users hopefully won't tamper with them I think I'll just try to go with the current version of the formula for now.

And again, thanks a ton for all of your input, it helps my own thinking too to be able to air some of my ideas here