Consulting

Thread: Make a received message editable without navigating through the UI

Make a received message editable without navigating through the UI

In Outlook 2010, it takes a bit of work to make a received message editable:

Home > Action > Edit Message

Is there a way to do this programatically?

you could try like

Private Sub Application_NewMail()
    Set inb = GetNamespace("mapi").GetDefaultFolder(olFolderInbox)
    inb.Items(inb.Items.Count).Display
    end sub
    this should open all incoming mail items

I forgot an important detail.

Let's say I open a message in Outlook, and I want to select some of the body text. If I use a mouse, I point, click, and drag, and the text is selected.

But if I do not (or choose not to) use a pointing device, and need to select text via keyboard, keyboard navigation is disabled untl I navigate through the ribbons to the "Edit Text" command.

I am looking for a VBA way to activate the "Edit Message" command. The command is buried deeply in the UI: "Home > Action > Edit Message"

I discovered a non-VBA solution: Add the "Edit Message" command to the Quick Access Toolbar (QAT).

To activate, press Alt + (number of icons from the left edge of the QAT), e.g., Alt + 6 if it's the sixth icon from the left.

Still, I would appreciate having a better understanding of what's happening under the hood...

Can VBA be used to force the "Edit Message" behaviour as the default, instead of having to set it every time a message is opened?