Consulting

Thread: Need access to a VBA macro reference manual for Word 2013

getting ready to move to Springfield Ohio, I think
    Need access to a VBA macro reference manual for Word 2013

For some reason, my registered installation of Office 2013 did not include the help files (command and function reference pages were what I used the most years ago for when I wanted to translate something from the BASICs I have memorized in my head into the obscure or hard to memorize wordy commands) that I had depended on years ago.

I remember a long time ago, in earlier VBA's, that simple graphics were reasonably easy, but I don't have my old notes.

Can someone please point me to a PDF or even online set of pages that I can use to look stuff up like a reference.

I'll post a second message about what I am currently trying to do.

John

VBAX Wizard
    Your best bet would be this, as VBA help files have crapped out over the last versions. They have become almost useless, although I do not know about 2013.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.15).aspx

Yes, I did find this site, but it is so hard to find things if you don't already know the word(s) you are looking for.

I was hoping for something that I could use a SEARCH function on, like search on LINE or RECTANGLE or IMAGE, or whatever.

Meanwhile, I'm working on a simple example of what I'm trying to do, in RFO Basic, so people can see my current goal.

VBAX Wizard
    Yes, describing what you are wanting to do would be helpful. Yes, using the online reference can be convoluted.

Have you tried recording a macro to least potentially give you a start?

Have you tried the Object Browser?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GryByteman View Post
    For some reason, my registered installation of Office 2013 did not include the help files
    I don't know how that's possible - if you install VBA support you should get the VBA help files too. In the VBE, pressing F1 should bring up the Help window. If the notice in the bottom-right corner says 'Connected to Office.com', click on it and change to 'Show only content from this computer'. From then on you'll have access to the offline help file.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    In the VBE, pressing F1 should bring up the Help window.
    When I press F1, it takes me to Windows Help and Support. I did tell it to limit itself to offline support as you suggested. Searching on VBA or LINE gave no results and Windows results, respectively.

I don't know where the card is that represents my ownership (too many boxes in a confusing period of moving twice in February (and getting ready to move again to a more permanent location) but if I can figure out how to reinstall, or do an update installation, or whatever, would that let me attempt to rectify the missing help files?

Makes me yearn for the simpler WINDOWS days when macros were easier to use.

When I press F1, it takes me to Windows Help and Support.
    That suggests you're not even using Word, let alone Word's VBE when you pressed F1, but that you're doing it from Windows...
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

VBAX Wizard
    Makes me yearn for the simpler WINDOWS days when macros were easier to use.
    But you still are in the Windows days!

I agree with macropod. You are clearly pressing F1 when you are focused in Windows, not the Word VBE. Macros are just as easy in 2013 as they ever were. Try going into the actual VBE and looking at Help there; and try using the Object Browser (as I suggested earlier).

VBAX Sage
    Another suggestion is to double-check your Help setting in the lower right corner (this is 2010, so might be different in 2013; I'm not that advanced yet)

I could get the MsgBox help with the cursor on MsgBox and pressing F1, or General Help by using the blue question mark

Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    That suggests you're not even using Word, let alone Word's VBE when you pressed F1, but that you're doing it from Windows...
    Thanks, Wizard and Paul. I wish it were that simple. I wonder if the "Office 2013" card I bought at Walmart and redeemed online wasn't as perfect a deal as I thought.

Yes, I was in the VBA editor at the time I pressed F1. Let me do it again, one moment ...

I started Word 2013, loaded a file that contains one of my VBA programs. Clicked in the middle of the word "Function" which is in blue, compared to black for the function name. Then I pressed F1 (no helper key). Since I had earlier used the "offline" hint, I got a different page than last time:

Window title: "Windows Help and Support"
    You're not connected to online Help, where the latest help content is available.

When I click the next sentence, "Get online Help now", I'm still in Windows Help and Support.

I haven't had time to check out your Object Browser suggestion yet, because I'm trying to spend a lot of time getting stuff packed and repacked so that the end of the month won't catch me offguard. (tentatively taking RV to Ohio to explore home purchase options).

Meanwhile, I did find copies of the CHM and CHW files containing the help files, and though Microsoft's program to read this type of file did not work, I found a different program that PARTIALL works.

CompuClever's ULTRA E-BOOK READER shows a table of contents, and pages are shown but not as neatly as I remember their being inside WORD itself. The other three tabs that I remember aren't there, but they do have a FIND option of their own.

I've also been trying to figure out how to reinstall this installation, to see if I could have somehow overlooked the installation of the VBA Help, but I'm certain I was looking for it in February when I installed it. (but I do have ADHD so I can't say that my "certain" is as good as yours.)

I'll keep trying, and thanks for all your suggestions, ideas, and help. It's valuable to this old brain.

John (62)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Another suggestion is to double-check your Help setting in the lower right corner (this is 2010, so might be different in 2013; I'm not that advanced yet)

I could get the MsgBox help with the cursor on MsgBox and pressing F1, or General Help by using the blue question mark
    That's what I suggested using in post #5...
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

I've also been trying to figure out how to reinstall this installation, to see if I could have somehow overlooked the installation of the VBA Help, but I'm certain I was looking for it in February when I installed it. (but I do have ADHD so I can't say that my "certain" is as good as yours.)
    Reinstalling rarely fixes anything a Repair won't. You can repair the Office installation via Programs & Features > Microsoft Office > Change in the Windows Control Panel.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]