Consulting

Thread: folder containing Msg file, Extracting senders name , subject on a txt file

folder containing Msg file, Extracting senders name , subject on a txt file

Hello ,

i have a folder that is saved on my computer that contains msg files. These were dragged and dropped from an outlook folders . At the moment i can click into the file and they open as messages.

What i like to be able to do is be able to search them better. The message name is the only thing i can search for just now. I like to be able to have some of the information that is contained within this msg files onto a spreadsheet.

i was wondeirng if its possible to take the senders name , subject name , attachment names and data sent and write this to a txt file or excel file..

i have no experience of writing vba in Outlook , but was wondering if this is possible thanks for you time

but was wondering if this is possible
    quite possible

loop through all .msg files in some folder, open in outlook, read properties to excel or whatever, close, next message

mypath = "c:\temp\"    ' change to suit, note trailing \
    set xl = createobject("excel.application")
    set sht = xl.workbooks.open(somepath\excelfile.xls).sheets("sheet1")  ' change filepath and sheet to suit
    rw = sht.cells(sht.rows.count, 1).end(xlup).row + 1    ' get next empty row
    mymsg = dir(mypath & "*.msg")
    do while len(mymsg) > 0 
      Set mi = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate(mypath & mymsg)
      sht.cells(rw, 1) = mi.subject
      sht.cells(rw, 2) = mi.sendername
      sht.cells(rw, 3) = mi.senton
      ' etc. etc for other properties
      mi.close oldiscard
      mymsg = dir
      rw = rw + 1
    loop
    sht.parent.save
    xl.quit
    the example above is to be coded in outlook, with a few changes, could be coded in excel
    i did not test the code in whole, so it may contain some errors or typos