Consulting

Thread: I then bookmarks

I then bookmarks

UGH!

I swear this is easy, but I've been bashing my head against the screen for a day and a half.

What I am hoping to accomplish is pretty strait forward. I have an initial list or table (I fine either way really. Table seems to add a bit of complexity though.) where a user enters in a text - in this case functions performed in their office. Following that is a checkbox that they can check if that function is "critical."

Below that, I want another list that will show only the items corresponding to the critical, i.e. checkbox is checked, functions.

This doesn't seem complex to me, but darn if i can't figure out how to make it happen!

I'm using Word 2010. Any or insight you all can offer would be much appreciated

NJ

VBAX Wizard
    Well it MAY be easy, but it sure is not clear what it is you want to happen.
    I have an initial list or table
    You are going to have to make a choice. A list...of what? Text? A dropdown that user can select from?

If it is a list, why would the user enter text?

But say, it is a table (although why it needs to be a table rather than just entering text somewhere, is unclear), and they enter (and I am being facetious):

"Making coffee and running meetings"; AND they check the checkbox so it is CRITICAL.
    Below that, I want another list that will show only the items corresponding to the critical, i.e. checkbox is checked, functions.
    HOW is this list to correspond to what the user has entered?? What do you do if they list two functions, not just one? What if the user enters: "I hate doing this!" AND checks it as CRITICAL?

No doubt the structure you seem to want can indeed be done. It could in fact be easy. However you need to be specific and explicit as to what the logic will be. If there are only a certain fixed number of functions that you want available to the user (some critical, some not), then do not allow the user to "enter" anything at all. Have them select a function, not type a function. That way YOU are putting the logic and in fact do not need a checkbox at all. Some functions are critical, some not. The user select which functions apply to them. Not decide if it is critical, or not. What if one user enters a function and checks it as critical, but another user enters the SAME function but decides it is NOT critical.

Decide, precisely, what the logic is, and actually making a document structure to fit it is likely fairly straightforward. We can help with that part; the decision logic is up to you. Although we may be able to assist with that as well.

VBAX Wizard
    Oh, and I do not understand your subject line: "I then bookmarks"

What do bookmarks have to do with this?

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    As fumei says, there's significant ambiguity in your post. Perhaps you want something like the attached.

You might "swear this is easy", but that's only true if you're accomplished with programming in Word...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

LOL! I apologize. It was the end of the day and I was frustrated. Clearly my clarity in writing was impaired.

I'll attach a document as well, but also try to explain my needs.

So, the purpose of this document related to business continuity(BC) and disaster recovery(DR). The goal is to identify specific tasks or procedures that are critical to the continuation of their business. To use the example above:
    "Making coffee and running meetings" would be two separate tasks. Making Coffee and running meetings.

Task 1. Making coffee - clearly a critical task that will undoubtedly impact the continuing functioning of the office
    Task 2. Running meetings - important, but not critical

After the user has entered these two bits of text "Making coffee" and "Running meetings" into two separate -for lack of a better term - fields. (Spots, places on a table or however) there needs to be a way to mark them as critical or not. I had thought a checkbox, but am not wedded to its use. These two, or more items depending on the office and their set of functions, will form the general list of functions.

Further in the document, I want to identify other aspects pertaining to the critical functions. From a BC/DR perspective, I am not concerned with non-critical items. Therefore, I would like to have tables/lists or other such mechanisms show only the functions identified as critical. I have no doubt that one could just retype the text easily enough, and perhaps that is the simplest solution. I have simply got it in my head that this is possible (having messed around with VBA some) and can't seem to let it go.

Hopefully this makes it more clear.

Thanks

VBA Express example.docm

PS: "I then" was supposed to be "If Then." Did I mention end of the day and frustrated?

PPS: Its nearing graduation here, and although I am not involved with this year's commencement, I hear it is frustrating indeed!

VBAX Wizard
    I am sorry, but I have to go back to what I posted earlier.

1. What if someone types Making coffee and marks it critical, and another types Making coffee and does not mark it critical?
    2. What if someone types making coffee and running meetings in ONE spot, not two separate spots?
    Therefore, I would like to have tables/lists or other such mechanisms show only the functions identified as critical.
    Identified only because someone stated it is critical, or because it meets independent criteria as being critical? See #1 above...is making coffee critical because it IS, or because someone says it is.

What if someone types "going to the bathroom"? What if someone types "going home!!!"

Is there a list of what is critical, or not. If there are "real" critical functions, then do not let people choose.

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Guru macropod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nijohnson View Post
    I would like to have tables/lists or other such mechanisms show only the functions identified as critical. I have no doubt that one could just retype the text easily enough, and perhaps that is the simplest solution. I have simply got it in my head that this is possible (having messed around with VBA some) and can't seem to let it go.
    I believe the attachment to my previous post provides the core of what you need.
    Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [Fmr MS MVP - Word]

I am sorry, but I have to go back to what I posted earlier.

1. What if someone types Making coffee and marks it critical, and another types Making coffee and does not mark it critical?
    2. What if someone types making coffee and running meetings in ONE spot, not two separate spots?
    Therefore, I would like to have tables/lists or other such mechanisms show only the functions identified as critical.

Identified only because someone stated it is critical, or because it meets independent criteria as being critical? See #1 above...is making coffee critical because it IS, or because someone says it is.

What if someone types "going to the bathroom"? What if someone types "going home!!!"

Is there a list of what is critical, or not. If there are "real" critical functions, then do not let people choose.
    Sorry about not addressing that question. There will be only one instance of the document per office. If there is disagreement within the office, that group will manage the resolution and the results will be documented. I can see the benefits of casting a wider net, but I think the confusion of responses sent back may make the efforts less than useful.

VBAX Wizard
    Still at the same questions. If more than one person is giving responses then you have multiples. If you give users (assuming multiple users in one office - actually multiple offices is irrelevant) a choice what is the logic if people enter silly "functions" and marks them all as critical; OR enters real functions and marks NONE of them as critical.

Now what? Does than mean there are no critical functions? Apparently so. So yes things can be worked after the fact, but that has nothing to do with trying to come up with a process. Even if ONE person is using this, the problems with setting up the process remain. WHO determines if something is critical or not? WHO decides if a function is real and to be considered?

If it is not the user (even if it is just one person), then the logic needs to be built into the document. The user then SELECTS things; not types things. That is the issue. If the users types something then they can type anything. And if they can enter anything how do you "list" logical critical functions.

VBAX Wizard
    Sorry about not addressing that question.
    You still have not.