Consulting

Thread: hyphen in code

VBAX Regular
    hyphen in code

Can there be a hyphen in a line of VBA? The condition below ( is the only one that does not work. Thanks

For iRow = 2 To rData.Rows.Count
            With rData.Rows(iRow)
                If .Cells(iGender).Value = "Male" And .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "x-linked dominant" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value <= 0.01 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely pathogenic"
                If .Cells(iGender).Value = "Female" And .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "x-linked recessive" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value <= 0.1 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely pathogenic"
                If .Cells(iGender).Value = "Male" And .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "x-linked dominant" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value >= 0.01 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely benign"
                If .Cells(iGender).Value = "Female" And .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "x-linked recessive" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value >= 0.1 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely benign"
                If .Cells(iGender).Value = "Male" And .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "x-linked dominant" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value <= 0.01 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "common" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "???"
                If .Cells(iGender).Value = "Female" And .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "x-linked recessive" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value <= 0.1 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "common" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "???"

If .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely pathogenic" Then .Cells(iClassification).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 7 'Magenta
                If .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely benign" Then .Cells(iClassification).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 8 'Cyan
                If .Cells(iClassification).Value = "???" Then .Cells(iClassification).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 22 'Pink

End With
        Next iRow

VBAX Sage
    1. I think the people in the other forum were wrong about the use of the With/End With. This seems to work fine

Sub test2()
        Dim iRow As Long
        Dim rData As Range

ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).Value = 111
        ActiveSheet.Cells(2, 1).Value = 222
        ActiveSheet.Cells(3, 1).Value = 333
        ActiveSheet.Cells(4, 1).Value = 444
        ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 2).Value = 555
        ActiveSheet.Cells(2, 2).Value = 666
        ActiveSheet.Cells(3, 2).Value = 777
        ActiveSheet.Cells(4, 2).Value = 888

Set rData = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion

For iRow = 1 To rData.Rows.Count
            With rData.Rows(iRow)
                MsgBox .Cells(1).Value
                MsgBox .Cells(2).Value
            End With
        Next iRow
    End Sub

2. Where is the hyphen? in the "x-link"? That should cause no issues

3. What do you mean by the condition below not working? Can you post a simple example?

BTW, there is always the possibility that the logic is performing correctly, but it is the wrong logic, OR the data is causing the unexpected results
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard
    You'd better work in memory than in sheets/ranges/cells

Sub test2() 
      with ActiveSheet
        .Cells(1, 1).Value = 111 
        .Cells(2, 1).Value = 222 
        .Cells(3, 1).Value = 333 
        .Cells(4, 1).Value = 444 
        .Cells(1, 2).Value = 555 
        .Cells(2, 2).Value = 666 
        .Cells(3, 2).Value = 777 
        .Cells(4, 2).Value = 888 
       end with

sn = ActiveSheet.Cells(1, 1).CurrentRegion 

For j=1 To ubound(sn) 
        MsgBox sn(j,1) & vbtab & sn(j,2) 
      Next
    End Sub

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Change each instance of:
    If .Cells(iGender).Value =
    to:
    If Cells(2,iGender).Value =
    Note the missing dot before Cells.
    This is because the Male or Female value only occurs in one cell in the entire sheet, not on each row.

Other points, your:
    For iRow = 2 To rData.Rows.Count
    I think should be:
    For iRow = 4 To rData.Rows.Count

You have at least 4 pairs of lines like:
    If .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "autosomal dominant" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value <= 0.01 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely pathogenic"
    If .Cells(iInheritance).Value = "autosomal dominant" And .Cells(iPopFreqMax).Value >= 0.01 And .Cells(iClinvar).Value = "" And .Cells(iCommon).Value = "" Then .Cells(iClassification).Value = "likely benign"
    where, as it happens with your data where you have values of 0.01 exactly, both lines are true. Normally, one of those statements would not contain the = sign in the comparison. This prevents overlap of values where both conditions end up being true.

So you'd have either:
    ~(iPopFreqMax).Value < 0.01 And~
    ~(iPopFreqMax).Value >= 0.01 And~
    or:
    ~(iPopFreqMax).Value <= 0.01 And~
    ~(iPopFreqMax).Value > 0.01 And~

depending on which category you want exact values of 0.01 to be placed in.
    Remember, whichever of these you choose, to make the other comparisons the same, even where you don't have paired lines.
    Last edited by p45cal; 05-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.
    p45cal
    Everyone: If I've helped and you can't be bothered to acknowledge it, I can't be bothered to look at further posts from you.

VBAX Sage
    This is because the Male or Female value only occurs in one cell in the entire sheet, not on each row.
    Where did you see that? No attachment that I saw.

If true -- and I assume it is -- then that would make a difference to some of the code, but I still think IMHO the With / End With is better (or at least my preference)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul

Remember: Tell us WHAT you want to do, not HOW you think you want to do it

1. Use [CODE] ....[/CODE ] Tags for readability
    [CODE]PasteYourCodeHere[/CODE ] -- (or paste your code, select it, click [#] button)
    2. Upload an example
    Go Advanced / Attachments - Manage Attachments / Add Files / Select Files / Select the file(s) / Upload Files / Done
    3. Mark the thread as [Solved] when you have an answer
    Thread Tools (on the top right corner, above the first message)
    4. Read the Forum FAQ, especially the part about cross-posting in other forums
    http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/faq...._new_faq_item3

Knowledge Base Approver VBAX Wizard p45cal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    Where did you see that? No attachment that I saw.
    In Msg#2 HaHoBe provides a link to a thread in another forum whose Msg#1has an attachment/link.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_Hossler View Post
    but I still think IMHO the With / End With is better (or at least my preference)
    I'm with you on that.