Consulting

Thread: Stop pop-up when excel closes

Stop pop-up when excel closes

I did a save on all my workbooks using a loop and when I did Application.Quit at the end of the code, it popped up the msg asking me if I want to save my workbook. How do u get excel to ignore that msg. I've done it b4 but its been a while back. And now I keep everything in case i need it in the future.

Thanx

VBAX Regular
    Will prevent the message from appearing.
    Conversely, you just use
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True
    to re-enable the alert messages.

This help?
    Dan
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-29-2023 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags

Yep

Thank You again Dan!

Just as an addition to the above posts. The DisplayAlerts causes the message to not appear, which causes Excel to automatically save the file. If that's what you want then everything should be OK, if you don't want to save the file, then additional code will be required to disable the save action.
    The most difficult errors to resolve are the one's you know you didn't make.

?????

What's the additional code? And thank you for responding w/this CBrine.

I may have been mistaken. I was thinking the activeworkbook.save, or activeworkbook.close commands would default to save. The application.quit seems to bypass the save when used with the displayalerts =false. I did some tests, and got some strange results though? When I programmed a button with the displayalerts =false and the application.quit, and ran it, it still prompted me for the save, but if i stepped through it, it didn't prompt for the save?(Only when something changed on the workbook).
    Did your's do this? Anyone have any idea why this would be happening?

Hey

Mine did do this so I created the code:

Sub endModule()
    For i = 1 To Workbooks.Count
        Workbooks(i).Save
        Next i
    Application.Quit
    End Sub

And it works fine now.

I did something close to yours. I set the saved flag to true, then excel will not prompt you to save and the application.quit will bypass the save. So if you want to not save the activeworkbook, you might want to try this. It will save each open workbook, except for the workbook that the code is executed on, prior to closing excel.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
    Dim wb As Workbook, wb2 As Workbook
    Set wb = ActiveWorkbook
    For Each wb2 In Application.Workbooks
        If wb2.Name = wb.Name Then
            wb2.Saved = True
        Else
            wb2.Save
        End If
    Next
    Application.Quit
    End Sub
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-29-2023 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags

I have a workbook that gives users access to info and they can then print it out but when they close the book I don't want them to save any changes. I used this code from a button created from the control toolbox:

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
    Application.Quit
    End Sub
    It just closes the program, no questions asked.

If you want to save the changes and close the book with no questions asked, try this:

Option Explicit 
        Dim i As Variant
        For i = 1 To Workbooks.Count
        Workbooks(i).Save
        Next i
        Application.Quit
    End Sub
    Steve
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-29-2023 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags

VBAX Regular
    Hi, just an observation for others who may be reading this thread. You need to be careful when turning off alerts as this may have undesirable affects depending upon what you are doing. The alerts are there for a reason so if you disable them then errors/alerts which you may wish to be advised of will not occur.

If Steve had used this code instead then this only closes the workbook and keeps Excel running so you run the risk of operating without the alerts.

ThisWorkbook.Close
    Therefore you should turn alerts back on when youve finished your action. However, whenever you open Excel the alerts are 'reset' to True regardless whether they were False when you closed Excel. So Steves code is fine because he is closing the Application itself so things will return to normal. Sorry for butting in but I thought I should mention this.
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-29-2023 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags

Site Admin
    Urban Myth
    VBAX Guru
    Picking up on Parry's fine post, with the workbook close code, you can specify whether or not you want to save that workbook with a true or a false following on the same line. This example would save the workbook on closing...

ThisWorkbook.Close True
    Last edited by Aussiebear; 04-29-2023 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Adjusted the code tags